OMV vs Cockpit

• My OMV server is due for an upgrade, both hardware and software. I need to move to a larger box with more drive capacity, and omv 3 needs to be replaced with omv 4 or something else.

My question is, what are the advantages or disadvantages of going with OMV 4 versus installing Debian 10 and Cockpit? It appears to me like cockpit functions much the same as OMV?

Other possibilities include installing proxmox or other hypervisor running virtual servers. The new box will be a dual xeon, so hardware can handle VM's.

What do you guys think?

• Offizieller Beitrag

My question is, what are the advantages or disadvantages of going with OMV 4 versus installing Debian 10 and Cockpit? It appears to me like cockpit functions much the same as OMV?

You can easily run cockpit on OMV 4 or OMV 5. Cockpit has things OMV doesn't and vice versa. Setting up file shares with samba and nfs are easier with OMV but other things are easier with cockpit. For me, cockpit didn't have enough features in docker and kvm.

For me, I run proxmox on my nodes if that tells you anything.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

what other VM's do you have beside OMV?

You don't want to know :) Actually, I have a three node proxmox cluster that was a VMware cluster. A bad upgrade of VMware made me mad so I converted it to proxmox. I still wanted a VMware cluster to test on. So, I have the following VMs:

• three node VMware cluster - yes, they are ESXi VMs :)
    • a few docker hosts (don't want to run docker on proxmox itself)
    • a lot of OMV VMs
    • a couple of arm image compiling VMs
    • one Windows 10 Pro VM
    • pi-hole VM (I prefer it in a VM)
    • a rancher VM for kubernetes stuff
    • an openstack VM
    • two Xubuntu VMs

I create and destory VMs all the time to test OSes as well.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I'm running pi-hole in a VM as well - in vbox within OMV. I was thinking i'd like to move it to an actual rpi at some point so that it's not required to have the server running to have internet. Although with uptime on OMV at >1 year, it hasn't been an issue.

Have you ever used XCP-ng?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have you ever used XCP-ng

Nope. Not really a Xen fan. The only two virtualization types I like are kvm and VMware.

• Offizieller Beitrag

And you prefer Proxmox over ESXi?

Depends on if you have vCenter or not. There are things Proxmox does well and I enjoy having a full OS. There are things ESXi does well. There are things ESXi does well only when you have a license and vCenter (which I have). I don't like updating ESXi or its hardware compatibility issues. But, I use ESXi all day long at work. So, I still wanted to have a cluster. I don't care if it is virtualized or not. Maybe some feature will come out or proxmox goes bad and I will switch back but I am happy with proxmox as the host right now.

Getting back on topic, you can setup samba shares in cockpit, right?

I think so but I don't remember. I don't use it either.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm running pi-hole in a VM as well - in vbox within OMV. I was thinking i'd like to move it to an actual rpi at some point

Diet-PI does good job of running Pi-hole on an R-PI, and it installs from their software installer. And Pi-hole will run fine, get this, on an R-PI2. You might even be able to shoehorn another useful server process into the works.

I ran that for awhile, but had some issues with old and well used SD-cards. I need to set that up again.

If I'm not mistaken, @geaves is still running Pi-hole this way.

• I installed proxmox in KVM to try it out. Then within proxmox I installed debian 10 and omv 5 and also dietpi. On the debian 10 VM I installed cockpit to try it out.

Cockpit has a nice UI but beyond that, I think OMV provides more functionality for server management.

ryecoaaron,
    In your proxmox configuration, did you configure passthrough for any HBA's for OMV?

And, do you run any dockers, and if so do you run them in OMV, in another VM, or on proxmox itself? The latter I believe is possible but not recommended.

Are plugins coming for OMV5? There's only a couple I really use, and snapraid could be installed easy enough using apt.

• Offizieller Beitrag

did you configure passthrough for any HBA's for OMV?

I have in the past but not currently.

do you run any dockers, and if so do you run them in OMV, in another VM, or on proxmox itself? The latter I believe is possible but not recommended.

Yes. I have a couple of dedicated Ubuntu 18.04 VMs for docker.

Some of them seem to be redundant? Like there's a couple plugins for snapraid, and one for mergerfs and also unionfilesystems?

Nope. The snapraid package is the snapraid binary not a plugin. The openmediavault-snapraid package is the plugin. Same with mergerfs. The mergerfs package is the mergerfs binary not a plugin. The openmediavault-unionfilesystems package is the plugin. The binaries are in the repo because they are not available in the Debian repos.

• Thanks ryeco. So OMV will be able to use my SAS hba on Proxmox without doing pass through? This is nice so that other VM’s can use the bulk storage too. Is there a performance hit by doing it this way?

• Offizieller Beitrag

So OMV will be able to use my SAS hba on Proxmox without doing pass through? This is nice so that other VM’s can use the bulk storage too. Is there a performance hit by doing it this way?

If you don't passthrough your hba to the OMV VM, then you will have to create virtual drives for the VM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there much of a performance hit?

If you use the 'raw' format, there is pretty much no hit. qcow2 has more features such as thin provisioning. Look at this for speed difference between the two. I use qcow2 for my VMs.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!