Hello OMV folks,
I am testing OMV on my old N40L HP Microserver, and plan to move from XigmaNAS after using that for over 8 years (!)
I was hoping to find a calculator to put all the numbers into it that would spit out the best way to set the drives up with SnapRaid and UnionFS/mergerfs.
I am moving from 3 datadisks:
- 2x2 Tb WD Red EFRX in ZFS Mirror (1.5 Tb used)
- 1x3 Tb WD Red EFRX UFS (no redundancy) (2.6 used)
Old disks lying around, just burn testing them with this script to see if they are still fit for storage.
- 3x1.5 Tb Samsung HD154UI - in progress, but one of them failed already
I also have a bunch of old notebook drives and external USB disks
- WD My Passport Essential 320 Gb (USB2) - PASSED
- WD Elements SE Portable 320 Gb (USB3) - PASSED
- WD Blue 500 Gb (SATA) - in progress
- two other waiting to be tested, although one of them SMARTed out already
Plan to use one of the WD externals as system drive to free up SATA ports. And also I hear that USB pendrive is not best practice to have the system on. I wonder though if a USB connected spinning drive is any better?
- Plan to have the 3TB as parity disk and have the two WD 2Tb drives and one Samsung 1.5 Tb as data drives. Is there a better setup out of this mix?
- Can I still throw in the small drives in the mix with just that one big (the 3Tb drive) parity?
- Is it the number of disks that is key, or does the overall data amount play a role too?
Thanks a lot