Location of Docker container config folders

• Hi

I've recently setup an OMV 4 build with 2 X 6tb HDDs and a 120GB SSD system drive. Plan to add more HDDs.

Awesome!

Just trying to setup a nice neat build from the get go...

All working well and I've started setting up Unionfs, SnapRAID, Sab, Sonarr, Radarr with Docker etc.

Problem is that I've setup with the Sab, Sonarr, Radarr config directories on the Unionfs data disks. I don't really think this is the best method.

I was thinking it would be best to place the Docker config directories on the system disk. Does this sound OK? This would mean that a system disk failure could easily be restored from a backup and my apps will continue to function after that. Whereas if they are residing on a data disk and it a fails, I would lose my applications and would need to wait for my warranty replacement or until I buy a new disk until I can get things restored again. It will just be easier to restore the system disk I think!

e.g. here it looks like a new user has been setup and the home directory for that user is used for the docker config files etc. https://forum.openmediavault.o…Docker-container-configs/

Any issues that anyone can foresee with this?! i.e. Setup a new docker user with a home directory on the SSD system disk and then point the docker instances to this new location?

Thanks

Will.

OMV 6. ASRock J5005-ITX, Crucial 8GB Kit (4 GB x 2) (DDR4, 2400 MT/s). Fractal Design Node 304. Crucial BX500 128 GB system drive. 4 X WD Red 6 TB. 2 X 8 TB external Western Digital Elements USB.

• Oh, looking at the link above looks like there is a suggestion and instructions on how to do this here. Quite old now, but hopefully still relevant!

https://forum.openmediavault.o…ic-NZBGet-ruTorrent-Sona/

so I've answered my own question and will try that! Oh no, got to setup my containers again! :(

Cheers!

Will

OMV 6. ASRock J5005-ITX, Crucial 8GB Kit (4 GB x 2) (DDR4, 2400 MT/s). Fractal Design Node 304. Crucial BX500 128 GB system drive. 4 X WD Red 6 TB. 2 X 8 TB external Western Digital Elements USB.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von willsy555 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

What if the system drive fail, and it can't be revived? Then the situation is similar to having a data disk fail.

I would boot from USB thumbdrive, and have the rootfs there as well. And I'd put the docker base path on the SSD.

One problem with having the rootfs and docker on the same filesystem is that if a docker app store a lot of (meta-) data it can fill the rootfs. And then everything crash! And it may not even reboot. Not good! Try to have as little as possible in the rootfs partition.

You could also partition the SSD and use one partition for the rootfs and another for docker. But this would have to be done manually. OMV doesn't allow you to install like this.

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Adoby ()

• Thanks very much for your advice Adoby. :)

I've since setup Docker App Config directories on the SSD though and all is working well.

I guess there are many ways to skin a cat (some better than others)... But this feels like a good solution to me.

I think my next step will be to look at the system backup and restore procedures to ensure that I'm good if disaster ever strikes! I'll do this before copying my data over from old old creaky Synology!! :-/

Cheers.

Will.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!