Backup strategies and software: your opinion? (Data backup, not OS disk or OMV backup)

• What is your opinion about backup strategies and software? I like idea of 3-2-1 backup. (Thanks macom for the link) I have one 4 TB fixed drive, one 4 TB USB drive for save backups and lot of free space on OneDrive for Business. About software, I think about Duplicati, but I read some bad thing about it. Other options is rsync. Any ideas for robust and stable backup software? Or better backup strategy?

= Fujitsu PRIMERGY TX1310 M3 • 2 x HDD 3.5" 4TB Western Digital Red • Windows Server 2019 • Hyper-V • OMV 5.x =

• Offizieller Beitrag

one 4 TB USB drive for save backups

I use the USB-backup plugin (uses rsync) to backup the data on an external USB drive. Each shared folder is backed up to the root of the drive. Once you defined the shared folders to be backed up the process to update your backup is very easy.
    1. Plug-in the drive
    2. Wait until you receive the mail that it is finished
    3. Remove the drive

lot of free space on OneDrive for Business

I use Duplicati for backup at pCloud. Works fine for me. I like that the data are encrypted on my server and then stored in the cloud.
    I guess most people don't like it because is uses Mono. I had only one issue so far, when I did no have enough space on the system drive of my HC-2 for the update of Mono. Luckily it was easy to recover, as I use snapper on the HC-2 to create snapshots of the system drive.

For the backup of my clients (Laptops) to OMV I use UrBackup. Works also very good. You don't really notice that the software is running in the background. Even when a backup is running.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Borg backup might be an option for remote backup as well. Probably the plugin will be ported to OMV5.
    Why should you use or not use dockers

For Duplicati you will have to use Docker in OMV5 or install it manually.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I use rsync.

I have pairs of OMV NAS. The first NAS in the pair shares files and stream media like a normal NAS. The second NAS takes daily backups of the first.

The backups are versioned rsync snapshots. Each snapshot looks like a full backup, but unchanged files are only hardlinked. So they take up space only once.

I typically save 4 monthly, 4 weekly and 7 daily snapshots.

To enable this all my NAS have access to the shares on each other, using nfs and autofs.

And I use scripts, started by crontab, to make new snapshots and purge old, daily. Typically a full update of all snapshots takes a few minutes, unless a lot has changed or been added.

If I need to restore something I just copy it from one of the old snapshots.

My NAS are small Odroid HC2s with 12TB drives. Instead of two NAS it could be two drives in the same NAS.

In addition I use a couple of external drives and an old 12TB Synology NAS for extra backup of things that are more important. And I have a HC1 at my sister's place. I use it for my some backups as well, old family photos and so on. And she can access them as well.

https://github.com/WikiBox/snapshot.sh

For clients I also use these rsync scripts, but in different ways.

For instance my laptop creates a versioned snapshot on one of the NAS, if the NAS is available, every time it is booted. I use calibre to manage my ebook collection. Every time I exit calibre after adding books or updating metadata or adding books to a reading list, another snapshot is automatically created on one of the NAS with a updated copy of my calibre databases and ebooks. But only if I'm in the same LAN.

I have slow internet, shared from a 4G phone, so I don't use cloud storage.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!