Harddrives not spinning down anymore

• So far my harddrives have been spinning down reliably but since recently the drives are not spinning down anymore.

I made no changes to my configuration apart from the regular updates that are showing up in the update manager. The 4.19 kernel update being one of the more recent updates.

My system consists of one SSD for OMV and two HDDs for storage (no RAID).

Any hints?

• I did a fresh install of OMV 4 with all updates from the update manager applied but the drives are still not spinning down. It seems that one of the recent Debian/OMV updates prevents the drives from spinning down properly.

Sadly this heavily lowers the value of OMV for me. :(

• I nailed the issue down to hdparm in conjunction with my WD Green HDDs.

I managed to spin down my two HDDs (WD30EZRX and WD10EACS) reliably by altering the hdparm.conf manually:

Mainly apm needed to be deactivated with the value 255 because the drives do not support apm. In addition I deactivated the IntelliPark feature of the drives with idle3-tools:
    https://forum.openmediavault.o…in-Down-Probleme-beheben/

The WD30EZRX spins down acording to the settings in the hdparm.conf whereas the WD10EACS ignores the specified spindown time but this is a known problem in conjunction with the WD10EACS model. Still the WD10EACS spins down after a while reliably now though it happens after some hours and not minutes as specified in the hdparm.conf.

What boggles me, is the fact that it worked reliably for both drives when I installed OMV 4.1.22 the first time, though I just enabled spindown through the web UI.

One of the updates between 4.1.22 and now seems to alter the behaviour of OMV/Debian in a way that the spindown does not work anymore. It could also be a newer version of hdparm that behaves differently now compared to before.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!