NVMe SMART status reading failure (wrong drive name)

• I'm having a small issue with my new OS drive, which is a Corsair MP510 NVMe drive. OMV is unable to fetch the SMART data in the webGUI most likely because the data is trying to be fetched with the drive name "nvme0n1". The SMART data can be read just fine if I try to read it in the shell with the command "smartctl -x /dev/nvme0"

Here is the error message that I get in the webGUI:
    "Read NVMe SMART/Health Information failed: NVMe Status 0x2002"

I get the exact same error message if I try to read the SMART data with the command "smartctl -x /dev/nvme0n1". So I know what the problem is but I'm not sure how to fix it so that it works in the GUI ?(

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks to VMware Player i was able to create a NVMe device. With that i can't reproduce your problem.

What smartmontools version are you using?

Bash
    $ dpkg -l | grep smartmontools
    $ smartctl -V
  • I'm wondering about the device naming. I did some research and i think a NVMe device has to be accessed via nvme<controller>n<namespace>. Can you please try

Bash
    # smartctl -x -d nvme /dev/nvme0n1

Hi, here is the output of that command:

• Here is "dpkg -l | grep smartmontools":

Bash
    ii  smartmontools                       6.5+svn4324-1                  amd64        control and monitor storage systems using S.M.A.R.T.

And "smartctl -V"

• I'm having a small issue with my new OS drive, which is a Corsair MP510 NVMe drive. OMV is unable to fetch the SMART data in the webGUI most likely because the data is trying to be fetched with the drive name "nvme0n1". The SMART data can be read just fine if I try to read it in the shell with the command "smartctl -x /dev/nvme0"

Here is the error message that I get in the webGUI:
    "Read NVMe SMART/Health Information failed: NVMe Status 0x2002"

I get the exact same error message if I try to read the SMART data with the command "smartctl -x /dev/nvme0n1". So I know what the problem is but I'm not sure how to fix it so that it works in the GUI ?(

I'm having the exact same issue. Did you ever find a solution?

• Hi,
    I am sorry to reply to an old thread, but the issue still exists in OMV5, I am currently running 5.3.2.1 and have the exact same issue as OP:

• nvme drive shows up as nvme0n1
    • SMART data is shown correctly if I run via shell smartctl -x /dev/nvme0
    • Error message that in the webGUI "Read NVMe SMART/Health Information failed: NVMe Status 0x2002"
    • If I run smartctl -x /dev/nvme0 I get some data and the same error as above

smartmontools version is 6.6.-1. The issue has been fixed by the smartmontools team, but OMV does not pick up the updated package.
    This is a newly installed system.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), Several HDDs (Data) w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von auanasgheps ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV does not pick up the updated package.

Debian not OMV but 7.1-1 is in backports but not pinned. It will be installed if you install proxmox kernel as well since 7.1 is in the proxmox repo. You can install from buster-backports with: apt-get install -t buster-backports smartmontools=7.1-1~bpo10+1

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Debian not OMV but 7.1-1 is in backports but not pinned. It will be installed if you install proxmox kernel as well since 7.1 is in the proxmox repo. You can install from buster-backports with: apt-get install -t buster-backports smartmontools=7.1-1~bpo10+1

Thanks for the advice, will try tonight.

Since OMV got the 5.4 kernel officially, I thought there was no need for proxmox kernel. Do you still recommend it? :) I see proxmox it's 5.3 though

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), Several HDDs (Data) w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von auanasgheps ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Since OMV got the 5.4 kernel officially, I thought there was no need for proxmox kernel. Do you still recommend it? I see proxmox it's 5.3 though

The proxmox kernel wasn't originally added to get a newer version of the kernel. It just about a choice. I personally think the proxmox kernel is more stable since it is tested more thoroughly against the debian userland on proxmox and on Ubuntu than the backports kernel. It is also the better option if you are using zfs since the module is already built and doesn't need to be compiled.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• Sorry for resurrecting old thread but I'm having same problem with nvme ssd as the OP.

Already tried installing smartmontools (v. 7.1.1), as well as kernel from debian-backports. Smart information tab shows device field as "/dev/nvme0n1" and serial model on that tab is missing (says n/a), therefore there are no information under "Attributes" tab. That's strange because smartctl gives correct data, no matter if I use "smartctl -a /dev/nvme" or "smartctl -x /dev/nvme0n1" or even "smartctl -x /dev/nvme0n1p1" - output is the same and its correct.

Any idea how to get smart info from omv webpanel for nvme ssd?

P.S. There is one more thing, is that correct? Why do those values differ?

CHevfuj.jpeg
    https://imgur.com/CHev

• Same issue here. I think it's pretty simple. The device in the SMART tab in the UI is listed as /dev/nvme0n1.

If I run 'smartctl -a /dev/nvme0n1' I get the same error returned:

Read NVMe SMART/Health Information failed: NVMe Status 0x2002

If I run 'smartctl -a /dev/nvme0' I get proper smart data back.

votdev

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!