USB RAID1 enclosure vs Rsnapshot on Raspberry Pi 4

• Hello.

I want to create a NAS with my Raspberry Pi 4 and an Open Media Vault. Please advise me a better solution to store/backup my data:

• Double-bay RAID1 HDD enclosure, fe. ACASIS DT-S2
    • Two single HDD enclosures and RAID1
    • Two single HDD enclosures and Rsnapshot
    • Something else?

Thanks in advance,
    MM

• Thanks geaves!

• What do you mean by "powered hdds"? Is that an USB HDD enclosure with separate power supply? Wouldn't a power from RPi4 USB be enough?
    • I see your footer note: "Raid is not a backup!". Could you explain why? I hear that many times but no one tries to explain.
  • What do you mean by "powered hdds"? Is that an USB HDD enclosure with separate power supply?

Yes

Wouldn't a power from RPi4 USB be enough?

No

I see your footer note: "Raid is not a backup!". Could you explain why? I hear that many times but no one tries to explain.

Yes, here here and this is the best you're a home user ask yourself why do I need Raid, do I understand enough about Linux Software Raid, the question implies endless answers, normally I would reply with 'How long is a piece of string' :)

BTW using USB to create a Raid on OMV is disabled, you can set it up via the command line but if it goes 'pear shaped' don't call us we'll call you :)

Your best option on a Pi is option 3 in your list using powered hard drives.

Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?

• Ok, I'm going to configure backup with Rsync today. What kind of file system should I use? BTRFS on both HDDs or maybe BTRFS on the first HDD and EXT4 on the second?

• Never used it but know some basics from net.
    My main goal is to prevent my files from corruption and I think the BTRFS checksum is an answer for me. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!