Backup a live system

• what's cron? And which program are you using?

cron is the system scheduler. You tell it what programs to run and when. You can use the Scheduled Jobs function in OMV that writes into crontab files.

You can google dd to see what it's about or just read its man page.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Hello guys,

So i planned a daily backup using the backup plugin. What i've noticed is that it makes a duplicate of my filesystem / in the specified backup folder. My question is how can i restore the backup to a SSD that i want to use instead of my current disk that holds /

• Offizieller Beitrag

The first post in this thread explains how to do it. I would need exact details to tell you exactly how to do it.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

/usr/share/openmediavault/mkconf/backup

Just to warn you, this "script" will be updated everytime the plugin is updated and your changes will be lost.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Hi,
    I am planning to create a live backup that is available at any time to ensure a short failure time.
    I'd like a weekly backup.
    My first drive is an SSD, and I'd like to have an USB backup.
    I tried a full dd clone... but live ... and when I try to boot on the USB, the partition is completly corrupted (inodes issues ...).

How can I proceed to have such ready to go backup ?

• I finilized my script to have a ready to boot OMV drive ...

You first need to do a cold clone of the running drive.
    Then, you can use this script to update the backup.

juste change the grep ".*SSD.*External.*" to put your backup drive name.
    the '--grub' option update the grub (in case of kernel update for example).

• Hello,

as I understand, this function is now integrated into the Openmediavault Core, right?

Was it ever considered to add the versioning-capability (with rsnapshot) to this? I ask this, because a backup of the current status of the system might be exactly what I do not need, if the backup was done after the problem raised.

Another Question: How can I trigger the backup via cron?

Greetings,
    Hendrik

• Offizieller Beitrag

as I understand, this function is now integrated into the Openmediavault Core, right?

Nope. It is still the openmediavault-backup plugin from omv-extras.

Was it ever considered to add the versioning-capability (with rsnapshot) to this?

No but I guess I could look into that idea.

How can I trigger the backup via cron?

Execute the following command as root: omv-mkconf backup

• Nope. It is still the openmediavault-backup plugin from omv-extras.

Ah. I was not aware. Why? I.e. Why do both exist and where are the differences documented?
    Or do I mis-understand and in fact there is only one and the one I find under System-Backup is yours from omv-extras?

Zitat

No but I guess I could look into that idea.

That would be great!

Zitat

Execute the following command as root: omv-mkconf backup

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why? I.e. Why do both exist and where are the differences documented?

There is no system backup in OMV core and never has been.

Or do I mis-understand and in fact there is only one and the one I find under System-Backup is yours from omv-extras?

The one under System Backup is from omv-extras.

• So I would like to clone my boot drive to a new one. Going from a bigger to a smaller drive. First I guess I need to shrink it. But since its ZFS how can I do that? Clonezilla wont clone the drive because the new is too small.

Edit: More confused now. Booted up the drive i wanted to clone and openmediavault says its ext4. Gparted where i wanted to shrink was adamant it was zfs. I suspect pebkac. As usual.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von sparx () aus folgendem Grund: New info

• Offizieller Beitrag

So I would like to clone my boot drive to a new one. Going from a bigger to a smaller drive. First I guess I need to shrink it. But since its ZFS how can I do that? Clonezilla wont clone the drive because the new is too small.

Edit: More confused now. Booted up the drive i wanted to clone and openmediavault says its ext4. Gparted where i wanted to shrink was adamant it was zfs. I suspect pebkac. As usual.

If you used the OMV installer ISO, the boot drive is ext4. You should be able to shrink it in gparted live as long as there is enough free space.

• If you used the OMV installer ISO, the boot drive is ext4. You should be able to shrink it in gparted live as long as there is enough free space.

I tried again. But gparted thinks it zfs. And openmediavault says its ext4. I used omv installer yes. Perhaps its because i have other devices with zfs.. A bit strange.
    Also tried parted magic, but that wont boot at all. Are there any alternatives?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are there any alternatives?

You really shouldn't need anything else. parted magic should definitely work. Are you sure you are looking at the correct drive in gparted?

• You really shouldn't need anything else. parted magic should definitely work. Are you sure you are looking at the correct drive in gparted?

Not sure of much right now. But there wasnt anything to confuse really. Some bigger drives and two ssds. Source and destination. Ill give a go with a cold power off (powering off the supply so ipmi etc dies off). If something is left in cmos because i was switching drives during power off.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Gparted still thinks its zfs.

What version of gparted?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!