Best choice to upgrade

• Hi Dyfcom,

for a NAS the 4GB NanoPi M4 is not mandatory. I own myself the 4GB version and even under heavy load the NanoPi is quite bored. I can not exactly tell you how much it is in average but I checked once while saving a huge amount of files and the CPU was around 20%...

The SATA hat in my case is different. Even if there is a heatsink on the controller IC it get´s really hot which propably is influenced by the onboard voltage regulator...
    I didn´t dive deep into this by now. So you need an active cooling or a much bigger heatsink for it.

All in all my nanopi is doing a great job and is really on the lower barrier of consumption. 6.9W constant consumption while the drives are spun down is in my opinion a value which is hard to brake in this category of SBC´s and the connections the NanoPi is providing.

Regarding the SSD EMMC question. I use at my setup only a SD card. Maybe I will upgrade one day to the EMMC but for now it´s doing a great job. If you choosing the SD setup be sure to take a fast one and quality card...

• Don’t use an EMMC module unless you want to remove the sata hat every time you remove or install it. This will be a huge pain when you go to backup your system. A1 micro SD card works just fine.

Simple and sure backup and restore: In a Scheduled Job: rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SOURCE/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-DESTINATION/ (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)
    OMV Version: Ver. 5 (current) - Hardware: NanoPi M4, Nextcloud, Plex, Airsonic, Booksonic, Calibre, & Heimdall - Acer Aspire T180, backup - Odroid XU4, Pi-Hole (DietPi) - Testing/Playing: hc2, xu4, Pi 3B+, Odroid H2, and HP dx2400, Debian 10 XFCE.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!