OMV 5 release imminent?

• I've been following the various nuggets of information posted on the forum about OMV5 release date, and the last official information I read was that it would be released after Debian 10.1 which came out earlier in September. Does this mean OMV5 release is imminent?

(I've been waiting for OMV5 for half a year now as my hardware won't work with the old kernel (hardware is 1.5 years old), and doing various tricks such as netinstall + omv4 installation scripts, or using a livecd to chroot in and install a new kernel always seems to result in an unstable OMV system, so I desperately need OMV5 in order to get my machine running.)

• Several components on my board do not have drivers in the OMV4 kernel, thus I cannot complete the standard OMV4 install and need to do frankenbuilds which seem to always result in random errors after installing OMV on top. So, no, I haven't tried installing ubuntu kernels on stock OMV4 because I cannot install stock OMV4 on my hardware (which was initially released in 2017 and isn't cutting edge at all).

• the last official information I read was that it would be released after Debian 10.1 which came out earlier in September. Does this mean OMV5 release is imminent?

There was no official statement from Volker to that effect. He always says it will be released when it is ready. He probably said it wouldn't be released before 10.1 was out.

omv 5.6.0 usul | 64 bit | 5.4 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.5.3
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• While Volker will make the call, the Debian version on a test VM ticked over to 10.1 a few days ago.

root@OMV5-Beta:~# cat /etc/debian_version

(I've been waiting for OMV5 for half a year now as my hardware won't work with the old kernel (hardware is 1.5 years old),

If it works for you (the Kernel is 5.2.0 in the VM), I'd load it up. Changes from here are most likely going to be version updates - I don't believe you'd have to reinstall.

• What's VM?

virtual machine

The OMV version in sourceforge is 5.0.5 and seems to be from August.

That is just the version on the ISO. Once you install all updates from the Updates tab, you will be on OMV 5.0.9 and kernel 5.2.0.

omv 5.6.0 usul | 64 bit | 5.4 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.5.3
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• How are the OMV-Extras plugins for OMV5?

Also, does any recent ISO on OMV4 have the 4.19 backports kernel installed by default? IIRC 4.19 ought to be sufficient for me, but last I checked the OMV4 ISO came with an older kernel.

• How are the OMV-Extras plugins for OMV5?

Also, does any recent ISO on OMV4 have the 4.19 backports kernel installed by default? IIRC 4.19 ought to be sufficient for me, but last I checked the OMV4 ISO came with an older kernel.

Im running OMV 4 and i have Kernel "4.19.0-0.bpo.4-amd64" i just checked

AFAIK most plugins that will be avaliable for OMV 5 when OMV 5 reaches its stable release is avalible for OMV 5 beta now :-)
    you can install the OMV extras plugin in OMV 5 with the command "
    wget -O - http://omv-extras.org/install | bash

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!