Can't move files between shared folders on the same array

• Hi there!

I have 2 sharedfolders on my RAID-array. How can move files between those folders? Sadly there's no fileexplorer in OMV. :/

When I use WinSCP over SSH to move the files it just makes a copy and then deletes the old file. When I do it over smb it's the same thing. When I try to move large amouts of files this will takes days which is stupid.(and unnecessary)
    Is there any solution that can really "MOVE" the files in milliseconds on the same drive just like Windows can? Moving files via command line is not an option.

I'm new to Linux so I don't want to install 50 different fileexplorers just to find out that all of them only "copy+delete" instead of "move". Moving files inside the same sharedfolder works just fine over smb.

• Offizieller Beitrag

No, not without using the command line. The two different shares are seen as two completely different filesystems. Might as well have been different partitions or even different drives.

What you could do is only have one shared folder. That way you don't need to move files between separate filesystems and moves will be instantaneous. Do you really, really need two different shares on the same filesystem?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Moving files via command line is not an option.

Maybe midnight commander is an option? Has to be started on command line, but then you have a minimal graphical interface.

Install with apt-get install mc
    run with mc

• Can you confirm that midnight commander can move files between shares and not just copy+delete?

No, not without using the command line. The two different shares are seen as two completely different filesystems. Might as well have been different partitions or even different drives.

What you could do is only have one shared folder. That way you don't need to move files between separate filesystems and moves will be instantaneous. Do you really, really need two different shares on the same filesystem?

The problem is that read/write permissions for users is linked to shares and not folders on a share. A user can't access an allowed folder inside a forbidden folder. I tried that first but it stays invisible.

So a share on a drive is showing to the applications like a drive and not like a folder? That's strange. :D

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can you confirm that midnight commander can move files between shares and not just copy+delete?

Midnight Commander cannot move files between shares without copy+delete. Midnight Commander can move files locally between two folders on the same filesystem instantaneously. Without copy+delete. Using Midnight Commander locally on the server is not possible without using the command line. The two shares are two folders on the same filesystem on the server.

• Offizieller Beitrag

No. Not unless you use the command line. Then it is very simple.

Even if OMV got a file explorer it would not be possible to move files between separate filesystems without copy+delete. Each share is a separate filesystem. If the file explorer allowed you to explore the local filesystem on the server, it would be different.

Each share is also a local folder on the same filesystem. And accessed locally as folders and not as shares it is possible to move files between the two folders without copy+delete.

I assume that this also is how it works for shares on the windows platform.

As far as I am concerned there already is an excellent extremely powerful file explorer on OMV. It is the shell, the command line. With all the amazing tools and commands it makes available. Midnight Commander for instance.

• If there are in the same fs why don’t you make the whole drive a shared folder then it should move it instantly using the local file explorer.

Because I have a lot of users with lots of different permissions. OMV doesn't allow a user access to a folder that's inside another folder that's blocked for him. This works on Windows but not on OMV. The only way I found to work around that is two different shares.

The user read/write permissions are sadly linked to the user+share/top folder and not to each folder individually.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!