Install NVIDIA Driver for Plex HW Acceleration

• Hey,

I have a fresh install of OMV that I am trying to get the NVIDIA Drivers working on. I encountered issues installing kernel headers so I had to downgrade to 4.19.0-0.bpo.5 from 4.19.0-0.bpo.6. Once I had that, I followed the instructions on the Debian wiki to install the drivers using apt.
    https://wiki.debian.org/Nvidia…rs#Debian_9_.22Stretch.22

After installing everything, the driver is not being used per lshw and the nvidia-smi tool. I used to have it working before but I can't remember what steps I took to get it working.

Any suggestions?

• I am also trying to get the nvidia driver installed for my Quadro P4000 card on OMV 4. Have been trying to install the driver based on the instructions linked above to the Debian wiki but I am getting errors about the packages being held backed.

If I download the driver from nvidia and try to run the installationen using "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.132.run" I get the following errors.

ERROR: Unable to find the kernel source tree for the currently running kernel. Please
    make sure you have installed the kernel source files for your kernel and that
    they are properly configured; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure
    you have the 'kernel-source' or 'kernel-devel' RPM installed. If you know the
    correct kernel source files are installed, you may specify the kernel source
    path with the '--kernel-source-path' command line option.

I am running the 4.19.0-0.bpo.5 kernel.

Would like some suggestions on how to the fix this.

• I actually just did this Monday. I was having dependecy version issues mismatch. Just doing nvidia-driver backports caused it. Once I set nvidia-kernel-dkms to backports all was good. I wanted the newest drivers that auto updates.

apt-get install nvidia-driver nvidia-kernel-dkms
    If using backports, add -t stretch-backports

• Thanks for the suggestion but I still get errors. I am starting to wonder if it could be a problem with the package manager and not a driver issue.

@openmediavault:~# apt-get install -t stretch-backports nvidia-driver nvidia-kernel-dkms
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    nvidia-driver : PreDepends: nvidia-installer-cleanup but it is not installable
    PreDepends: nvidia-legacy-check (>= 343) but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: nvidia-driver-libs (= 418.74-1~bpo9+1) but it is not going to be installed or
    nvidia-driver-libs-nonglvnd (= 418.74-1~bpo9+1) but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: nvidia-driver-bin (= 418.74-1~bpo9+1) but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: xserver-xorg-video-nvidia (= 418.74-1~bpo9+1) but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: nvidia-vdpau-driver (= 418.74-1~bpo9+1) but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: nvidia-alternative (= 418.74-1~bpo9+1) but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: nvidia-support but it is not installable
    nvidia-kernel-dkms : PreDepends: nvidia-installer-cleanup but it is not installable
    Depends: nvidia-kernel-support--v1
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

• Thanks for the suggestion but I still get errors. I am starting to wonder if it could be a problem with the package manager and not a driver issue.

@openmediavault:~# apt-get install -t stretch-backports nvidia-driver nvidia-kernel-dkms
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    nvidia-driver : PreDepends: nvidia-installer-cleanup but it is not installable
    PreDepends: nvidia-legacy-check (>= 343) but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: nvidia-driver-libs (= 418.74-1~bpo9+1) but it is not going to be installed or
    nvidia-driver-libs-nonglvnd (= 418.74-1~bpo9+1) but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: nvidia-driver-bin (= 418.74-1~bpo9+1) but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: xserver-xorg-video-nvidia (= 418.74-1~bpo9+1) but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: nvidia-vdpau-driver (= 418.74-1~bpo9+1) but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: nvidia-alternative (= 418.74-1~bpo9+1) but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: nvidia-support but it is not installable
    nvidia-kernel-dkms : PreDepends: nvidia-installer-cleanup but it is not installable
    Depends: nvidia-kernel-support--v1
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

• I was having the same issue (OMV 4). The metapackage doesn't seem to recognize the kernel version during the install process and just installs the latest version.

I got around this by going directly to nvidia's site and downloading the driver package there: https://www.nvidia.com/Downloa…Results.aspx/142567/en-us (the driver here isn't listed on the driver search, though a rudimentary google search managed to locate it) Looks like the OP may have been trying to install an incompatible version. I also did a purge of nvidia stuff prior to installation

Then I just moved it to one of my shared folders and executed it from there using 'sh'
    Hope that helps, now I just have to muddle through the rest of the setup :/

-edit address OP initial issue

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von smellylettuce () aus folgendem Grund: added a couple things

• Have you been able to get everything working? I've been dying for days trying and failing and breaking and fixing things. (OMV 5, Kernel 4.19)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!