Nextcloud

• HI - I have installed Nextcloud (Docker) with help of Technodad's video. When launching NExtcloud for the first time, I encountered the following error:

Your data directory is readable by other users
    Please change the permissions to 0770 so that the directory cannot be listed by other users.

I tried a chown 770 on the relevant directory tree which makes them all owned by root but that didnt solve the problem either.

Can anyone help? Please.
    thanks
    Marc

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

OMV5 on ProLiant N54L (AMD CPU)

• Do you have a dedicated user who runs your container (specified by pgid and puid)? If this is done correctly docker should automatically assign the right owner for the folders. Also to set the permissions you have to use the chmod command.

• Hi Morlan, thanks for the reply.
    Yes, I have set PUID and PGID on 100/1000.
    Below is my "sharedfolders"
    When I run chmod 0770 nextcloud -R, nothing changes.

rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4096 Oct 24 15:56 nextcloud
    drwxrwxrwx 5 root root 4096 Oct 24 15:23 nextcloud_old
    drwxrwsrwx 2 root users 4096 Oct 22 22:15 resc13
    drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4096 Oct 23 22:42 ssd2
    drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Oct 24 15:50 Think2

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• I found my mistake: the drive where nexcloud was installed was an NTFS drive. Of course the permissions cannot be changed with Linux commands. :)

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• Offizieller Beitrag

PUID and PGID isn't ownership, I believe that is the permission level of files that Nextcloud gives to files uploaded via the webUI. I'm not 100% sure and can't check at the moment however.

From the looks of your folders, all of them allow 100% access to users and guests. Is there a particular reason you're concerned about Nextcloud?

IIRC, if you follow TD's video, when he creates the Nextcloud folder in the webUI he sets the permissions on it to 'Everyone'... so I'd imagine that is why you're getting this warning. I've never done this so I've never seen this warning. Nextcloud isn't really designed for local access but for some reason people seem obsessed with it. On my system, the folder cannot be accessed by any user.

• Offizieller Beitrag

As far as I understand the Linuxserver images change the ownership of the mounted volumes to theuuser which is specified by pgid and puid. But maybe I am mistaken

Hmm, I'll have to check my VM when I get home tomorrow. I create my "Main Folders", with the webUI (AppData, Data, Media, Home)... then just SSH as a user and create sub directories of those where appropriate. So all of my folders are user owned user owned anyway.

I do know on my Nextcloud folder that I create with my user... it's permissions get changed and I can no longer access it with a user once Docker is installed.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!