Virtualbox on Open Media Vault

• Offizieller Beitrag

Any idea how I can do this?

What version of OMV? I'm guessing OMV 5.x. If that is the case then you are out of luck since virtualbox is not in the Debian Buster repos. Therefore no plugin. omv-extras allows you to install cockpit to create kvm/qemu VMs.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

hm guess I have to downgrade then.

If you rely on virtualbox now, you will never be able to upgrade.

I'm new to this and trying to make a headless server out of an old optiplex for all kind of things.

Why do you need virtualbox to make a headless server? Lots of people (myself included) virtualize OMV by using proxmox or VMware ESXi. They are much better than virtualbox.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

(I'm assuming that you're running VB on OMV, in the following.)

Look at the IP address in your screen capture. You need to change the remote desktop server IP address (and port) to your OMV server's IP address. The virtualbox web page, using 127.0.0.1 ,is looking for port 9000 on the local host.

The setting is in the configuration menu under, as I recall, "Remote Display" server or something like that.

You know OMV5, with OMVExtra's installed, comes with Cockpit ready to install. At least going that route will have an upgrade path in the future.

• Offizieller Beitrag

okay nevermind.. I see proxmox is not even free.

Uh, yes it is. Proxmox and ESXi both have free versions. I have used both for years.

• Offizieller Beitrag

used the NAS's IP adress with the following :9000 but no luck.

Why not click the button? Port 9000 is the portainer port. Port 9090 is the cockpit port.

• Uh, yes it is. Proxmox and ESXi both have free versions. I have used both for years.

it complains about me having no subscription when I try to run updates and says that me IP is not permitted to retrieve updates.
    And when I click on the link it leads me to their subscription page for yearly/monthly payments.

• Offizieller Beitrag

it complains about me having no subscription when I try to run updates and says that me IP is not permitted to retrieve updates.
    And when I click on the link it leads me to their subscription page for yearly/monthly payments.

Of course. It defaults to them trying to get you to subscribe. They have a wiki telling you how to fix this. Remove the enterprise repo by deleting the enterprise repo file and adding the no-subscription repo. The web interface will still remind you that you don't have a subscription but that is perfectly fine. https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_Repositories

• Why do you need virtualbox to make a headless server? Lots of people (myself included) virtualize OMV by using proxmox or VMware ESXi. They are much better than virtualbox.

Excuse me, if I interfere. It is a little bit off-topic, but Is there any tutorial how to vitualize OMV with proxmox? Furthermore I read a lot of posts where docker and portainer are recommended to use 3rd party software under OMV.

But how to begin? I´m an absolute noob concerning these things and I would need a step-by-step guide for that. Is there a good resource for beginners?

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there any tutorial how to vitualize OMV with proxmox?

There two videos will tell you everything you need to know.
    Installation and Setup Videos - Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced
    Installation and Setup Videos - Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced

Furthermore I read a lot of posts where docker and portainer are recommended to use 3rd party software under OMV.

True. We are dropping plugins where the service is better to use in a container.

But how to begin? I´m an absolute noob concerning these things and I would need a step-by-step guide for that. Is there a good resource for beginners?

This thread has about everything you need - https://forum.openmediavault.o…ntermediate-and-Advanced/

• Offizieller Beitrag

Also, just an idea..
    why don't we use Oracle's official repo to install VMWare on OMV 5 ?
    tecadmin.net/install-virtualbox-on-debian-10-buster/
    I mean I could install it, but I have no idea how to integrate it to the web interface.

We used to use the virtualbox repo. The virtualbox package does not follow Debian's guide lines and is a nightmare when upgrading. That repo used to unavailable quite often as well. Finally, I don't want to maintain the plugin anymore because it relies on phpvirtualbox for most of its features and phpvirtualbox is not maintained all that well.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!