Very Slow Transfer Speed on Raspberry Pi 4 with OMV 5

• Hi,

I am getting deathly slow speed on my Raspberry Pi 4 with OMV 5.

I tried everything from my end but the data transfer speed on SMB/CIFS are less then 3 MB.

My Setup is as follows:

• Raspberry Pi 4 (4 GB)
    • Original Raspberry Pi USB C Power Adapter
    • Quantum Zero USB 3.1 Powered HUB (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011OSM2KW)
    • Seagate 2 TB External USB 3.0 Hard Disk (Ext4)
    • Adata 1 TB USB 3.0 Hard Disk (NTFS)
    • Amazon Basics Cat 7 LAN Cable directly connected to Gigabit Router

I installed OMV 5 from this URL: https://github.com/openmediavault/openmediavault/issues/344

Everything works fine except the slow transfer speed.

Somebody can please help what is wrong with my setup and How can get good transfer speed?

Thanks a ton.

• Thanks for your reply.

1. No, I am using Heatsink and Fan and the temperature is always below 46 degree celsius.

2. Yes, One of the Hard Disk is EXT4 and another is NTFS.

3. I tried shuffling them, using with and without power hub but no luck.

Also I am getting 120+ MBps speed on these hdds with Rpi 4 but with OMV 4, this slow speed issue is with OMV 5 only.

• I saw in a youtube video RP4 having issues with USB on 4GB model and the workaround is to change /boot/sys.cfg [local_mem = 3072], but that iis for Ubuntu 19.10. I do not if it is somehow related....

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you install from your link in the first post or via the guide, the guide is the option that has been tried and tested.

Also I am getting 120+ MBps speed on these hdds with Rpi 4 but with OMV 4, this slow speed issue is with OMV 5 only.

Slightly different base O/S's, but your query has been brought up on the forum before, and his fix was to follow this sticky on the Pi forum

• Hi,

I have speed issue when copying files from RPI 4 4GB through LAN 1GBs network. Copy from PC->RPI is good about 70-80 MB/sec but copy frop RPI->PC is really bad it is only 300-500 KB/sec.

My equipment

Hardware:
    - Raspberry Pi 4 with 4GB RAM
    - 2x HDD 3,5" Western Digital Red 3TB (connected on USB 3.0) and ext4
    - 2x SATA cabel ID 152d:0578 JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp. JMS567 SATA 6Gb/s bridge
       https://a.aliexpress.com/_BT1STb
    - each HDD is powered with external 12V/2A power supply connected to SATA JMicron cable and external 5V power supply
    - SD card SanDisk Extreme 32GB

Software:
    - Raspbian Buster 2020-02-13
    - Openmediavault 5.3.9-1 (Usul)
    - HDD's are in raid 1 (mirror) md0 and ext4
    - samba

Commands:
    pi@RPI-Server:~ $ sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt
    usb-storage.quirks=152d:0578:u console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 root=PARTUUID=ea7d04d6-02 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait quiet splash plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles

pi@RPI-Server:~ $ lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 152d:0578 JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp. JMS567 SATA 6Gb/s bridge
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 152d:0578 JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp. JMS567 SATA 6Gb/s bridge
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2109:3431 VIA Labs, Inc. Hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

pi@RPI-Server:~ $ lsblk
    NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
    sda 8:0 0 2,7T 0 disk
    `-sda1 8:1 0 2,7T 0 part
    `-md0 9:0 0 2,7T 0 raid1 /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data
    sdb 8:16 0 2,7T 0 disk
    `-sdb1 8:17 0 2,7T 0 part
    `-md0 9:0 0 2,7T 0 raid1 /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data
    mmcblk0 179:0 0 29,7G 0 disk
    |-mmcblk0p1 179:1 0 256M 0 part /boot
    `-mmcblk0p2 179:2 0 29,5G 0 part /

pi@RPI-Server:~ $ sudo rpi-eeprom-update
    BCM2711 detected
    BOOTLOADER: up-to-date
    CURRENT: Út zář 10 10:41:50 UTC 2019 (1568112110)
    LATEST: Út zář 10 10:41:50 UTC 2019 (1568112110)
    FW DIR: /lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/critical
    VL805: up-to-date
    CURRENT: 00013701
    LATEST: 00013701

pi@RPI-Server:~ $ sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sda
    /dev/sda:
    Timing cached reads: 2 MB in 5.39 seconds = 380.02 kB/sec
    Timing buffered disk reads: 2 MB in 4.72 seconds = 434.14 kB/sec

pi@RPI-Server:~ $ sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sdb
    /dev/sdb:
    Timing cached reads: 1432 MB in 2.00 seconds = 715.86 MB/sec
    Timing buffered disk reads: 18 MB in 4.35 seconds = 4.14 MB/sec

What I try:
    - Many options in /etc/samba/smb.conf but not working
    - I was try reflashing vl805 by this https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 7#p1490468
    not working
    - only add quirsk to cmdline quite worked for write speed but read speed is totaly bad.
    - when I connect HDD´s to USB2.0 write speed drop down to ca 10-11MB/sec (from ca 70MB/sec in USB3.0) and read speed increased to ca 10-11MB/sec (from 300-500 KB/sec in USB3.0)

I´m at the end of my powers :( Is here someone who can help me?

"sorry for my english :? "

• I have speed issue when copying files from RPI 4 4GB through LAN 1GBs network. Copy from PC->RPI is good about 70-80 MB/sec but copy frop RPI->PC is really bad it is only 300-500 KB/sec

exactly the same problem here!

RaspPi4 4GB, OMV 5.2.1-1 (Usul)

HDD 5TB Seagate Backup Plus (connected on USB 3.0) and ext4

Copying from PC to RPi4 round about 90-110 MB/sec, but ycopying from RPi4 back to PC round about 300-800 KB/sec....sometimes i get a peak of over 1MB/sec, but sometimes it just goes to ~150 KB/sec.... wow....

can't work with such slow speeds....any solutions already?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am running OMV 5.4.7-1 on a Raspberry Pi 3B connected to two 1 TB Toshiba HDDs

You're not going to get much from the Pi3 but if these are 2.5" drives then they are drawing power from the Pi, couple that with the fact that the usb and ethernet share the same bus adds up to slow transfers and the possibility of the drives 'disappearing' from the WebUI.

• You're not going to get much from the Pi3 but if these are 2.5" drives then they are drawing power from the Pi, couple that with the fact that the usb and ethernet share the same bus adds up to slow transfers and the possibility of the drives 'disappearing' from the WebUI.

I am powering the two HDDs from a powered USB hub.

• Hello,

I was reading a lot for the past couple of weeks since my problems started.

Here's the setup at home:

Rpi4 4GB directly connected to the router using Cat5e cable - Gigabit<->Gigabit. WiFi on Rpi disabled. Memory card used: Samsung EVO Plus 128GB. RPi using original RPi power supply. First revision of RPi4 (if applicable).

One USB3 port occupied with https://www.axagon.eu/en/produkty/adsa-st which holds 2x4TB WD Red drives NTFS formatted so they can be shared using Samba. HDD dock is powered externally - not consuming any power from RPi.

Running on Raspbian - Deluge torrent client, jackett, plex media server. As docker containers through OMV5 have running Sonarr, Radarr, Bazarr. Pretty much Rpi is being used for media sharing with my FireTV Stick (using Kodi).

Past two weeks it is kind of nightmare when it comes to download. Speeds are varying between 300kb/s and tops of 1.5mb/s. Previously speeds were quite far from this, varying between 4 and 8mb/s.

Speedtest-cli shows Download: 84.06 Mbit/s.

Tried the Sticky from Raspberrypi forums with enabling usb-device - that didn't change much. (Topic: https://www.raspberrypi.org/fo…ewtopic.php?f=28&t=245931)

Tests show kind of good results:

root@raspberrypi:/var/lib/deluged/config# sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sda

/dev/sda:

Timing cached reads: 1564 MB in 2.00 seconds = 781.88 MB/sec

Timing buffered disk reads: 534 MB in 3.02 seconds = 176.95 MB/sec

root@raspberrypi:/var/lib/deluged/config# sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sdb

/dev/sdb:

Timing cached reads: 1682 MB in 2.00 seconds = 840.92 MB/sec

Timing buffered disk reads: 538 MB in 3.01 seconds = 179.01 MB/sec

root@raspberrypi:/var/lib/deluged/config# sudo hdparm -tT /dev/mmcblk0

/dev/mmcblk0:

Timing cached reads: 1460 MB in 2.00 seconds = 730.28 MB/sec

HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(identify) failed: Invalid argument

Timing buffered disk reads: 134 MB in 3.03 seconds = 44.27 MB/sec

OMV version is 5.5.0-1 (Usul) being updated almost every day with the hope that it will fix it by itself.

Any suggestions apart from trying to reinstall?

Thanks! :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

connected to the router using Cat5e cable - Gigabit<->Gigabit

What it says on the tin doesn't mean that's what you get, I never, ever connect hardware to a router I always use a switch.

which holds 2x4TB WD Red drives NTFS formatted so they can be shared using Samba

Not necessary, if fact a number of threads on here and Pi forums suggest using ext4 due to transfer speed degradation, for sharing the file system makes no difference.

• Hello,

in fact I found the problem. It was the deluge torrent client installed on the Raspbian... Deployed over Docker container - works like a charm - 8-10MiB/s..

• Hi guys,

I have the same speed issue as @K4BlOs when copying files from RPI 4 4GB through LAN 1GBs network.

Problem occures especially with large files (.mkv ~2GB/file) from RPi to PC.

Small PDFs and other documents work like a charme.

Hardware:

- Raspberry Pi 4 with 4GB RAM

- 2x HDD 2,5" Western Digital Red 1TB (connected on USB 3.0), formatted on ext4

- 1x Raidsonic ICYBox 2.5"-NAS in RAID1

- both HDD's are powered through the NAS-enclosure with its own supply connected to USB3.1 cable delivered with the NAS

- SD card SanDisk Extreme 64GB

Software:

- Raspbian Buster 2020-02-13

- Openmediavault 5.5.3-1 (Usul)

- HDD's are in RAID1 (mirror) through NAS and ext4 formatted

- samba config (see attached picture)

I haven't tried out the sticky note and I dont hav eeluge or any other torrent client installed.

I'm simply using nextcloud via Docker to get my stuff accessed from the web and via samba from home.

Hope, that somebody can help me out..

Cheers,

vinschenz

• I get slow transfer speed if I have too many torrents running or any software that you are using the hard drive, IE I use emby. I never used deluge, but I use haugene/transmission-openvpn:latest-armhf docker which is good for openvpn and transmission.

FYI, I am using the raspberry pi 4 4gb, with a 5tb seagate hard drive.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!