Failed to create a file system

• Hi everyone.

I’m trying to install omv on a Lenovo m93p with 8gb ram, but I’m having no luck at all. I’m installing via a 4gb usb stick (using rufus to burn the iso) and installing onto a 64gb usb stick.

Everything seems fine until creating the partition disks. It says the following partitions are going to be formatted:
    Partition #1 of SCSI7 (0,0,0) (sdc) as ext4
    Partition #5 of SCSI7 (0,0,0) (sdc) as swap
    I confirm the change then I get an error saying:
    Failed to create a file system
    The ext4 file system creation in partition #1 of SCSI7 (0,0,0) (sdc) failed.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? It’s driving me crazy! :(

• I thought I'd add that I've also just tried installing via a CD, which I'd read would be easier. Unfortunately it isn't and is throwing up the same issue. Is there something wrong with installing to USB sticks? The Beginners Guide specifically mentions that installing the OS to a USB drive is the recommended method? And I'm using a good quality Toshiba 64gb USB stick.

• Has the USB drive been used before? If yes, wipe it and try again.

A workaround might be to install minimal Debian (without desktop) and than OMV on top of it.

@macom Thanks for the reply. Yes the USB has been used before. I've already formatted it several times I think, but I'll happily try again. I used exFAT last time, would formatting using NTFS be better?

• Remove the partition on the drive. For example with Disk Management on Windows.

@macom Thanks for that, I hadn't thought to check the drive's partitions. 2 appeared in disk management which were impossible to delete so I had to use diskpart at the command prompt. All done now, showing 58gb free.

Should I now format the drive in windows or just leave it unformatted when I try the installation process again?

• Just leave it like that. The installer will create the filesystem.

@macom Success! Kind of... :(
    OMV installed fine, however after rebooting past grub I get multiple lines of the following:

mdadm: No arrays found in config file or automatically
    mdadm: error opening /dev/md?*: No such file or directory
    Gave up waiting for the root file system device. Common problems:
    - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
    - Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
    - Missnig modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
    ALERT! /dev/sdc1 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!
    Busybox v1.22.1 (Debian 1:1.22.0-19+b3) built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands
    initramfs)_

I've been googling around and perhaps this is something to do with the raid or SATA settings? Or some kind of boot order that's being assigned? Does anyone know how I can resolve this? I was so close to getting this up and running, it's really annoying. :(

• Does the server boot if you disconnect the data drives? If yes run update-grub
    After that the server should boot with data drives connected.

@macom Thanks again for the advice. I removed the sata cable 2.5" drive and rebooted. Instead of just:

I now also get multiple lines of:
    mdadm: No devices listed in conf file were found.

How do you run update-grub? I've tried pressing C to goto the command line and entering it there but I just get error: can't find command 'update-grub'.

Apologies for the multiple posts. I kept getting a failed to send message. ?(

• Aha! The post you linked to mentioned editing an sdb1 entry to sda1 so I looked in my bootup to make that change. Think my entry was sdc1 but changed it to sda1. Ran the boot and after throwing a few lines of 'mdadm: No arrays found in config file or automatically' again, it initialised! :) Once in, I ran update-grub and it now boots correctly each time.

I'm getting an odd issue whereby each time I boot my system fails to see a boot device initially. However, ctrlaltdel'ing a few times will eventually get the system to see the usb and omv boots. Like I say odd, but perhaps it's the Lenovo system itself and issues with it's bios booting to usb?

Anyway, thanks a lot again for your help @macom I wouldn't have got this installed without your advice!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!