[ALERT NOOB] Help and suggestions for building first NAS

• Hello everyone,

First time posting here.
    It's my first post and first time building NAS, so I want to apologize for any inconvience

I'm planning to do my very first NAS for home usage and would like a little more input on the hardware I selected thus far.

what I built so far for the NAS:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
    Motherboard: ASRock MicroATX Motherboard (B450M PRO4)
    OS SSD Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E1T0B/AM)
    RAM: Kingston KSM24ED8/16ME Server Premier - DDR4-16 GB - DIMM 288-pin - 2400 MHz / PC4-19200 - CL17-1.2 V - unbuffered - ECC x2
    Storage HDD: WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD40EFRXW x2

GPU: Gigabyte GV-N1030OC-2GI Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 OC 2G Graphics Card

Computer Case: -
    PSU: -

Usage:
    * Encryption on the Storage HDD
    * Plex server for in-home streaming with light transcoding for remote devices
    * Storage for Laptop backup (documents, photos, softwares, etc) - Main Backup
    * Calibre Server
    * Ubooquity Server
    * Couple of Web servers (python)
    * (maybe a VM for windows or linux in the future)

Questions that :
    1. Is the motherboard good?
    2. Is that GPU good or should I choose a different one?
    3. Will the RAM will fit in the motherboard slot?
    4. Which UPS is recommend for the setup?
    5. Which PSU is recommend for the setup?
    6. Do I need to put thermal paste on cpu?
    7. Do I need to buy air cooler instead of the air cooler that comes with the AMD CPU?
    8. is HDD better a choice than SSD (SA500 4TB)?
    9. How can I setup an encryption on Storage HDD?

Thank you

• Isn't the CPU overkill for this usage scenario? :huh: I might be wrong ...

Edit:
    Yes, I am serious.
    Isn't that CPU targeted at hardcore gaming?

You asked for help and input, and when I reply, you give me sarcasm in return? :(

• Offizieller Beitrag

I asked in the wrong place.

You asked in the right place, the question is will it meet your needs the options of Calibre, Ubiquity, Plex, can be achieved using Docker, backup for your Laptops you can use the UrBackup plugin (I use it and it works well, now I've solved the DB corruption) You might want to double check virtualisation for the m'board if you intend on running vm's, also read the manual regarding the M2 sockets, I seem to remember a thread regarding these somewhere on the forum.
    But you could possibly negate the GPU if you went with Intel as I'm guessing you are looking at this for transcoding

• You might want to double check virtualisation for the m'board if you intend on running vm's, also read the manual regarding the M2 sockets.

where on motherboard specs I read about the virtualization?

Which m2 sockets? SSD runs on sata.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Which m2 sockets? SSD runs on sata.

True, but that would use one of the four sata ports the M2 socket option would be a better solution, this is the asus site for the board, the M2 is referenced under storage, but the site/general overview has no mention of virtualisation, but it might be in the user manual.

• Ok then can you reply my questions and recommend a better build?

True, but that would use one of the four sata ports the M2 socket option would be a better solution, this is the asus site for the board, the M2 is referenced under storage, but the site/general overview has no mention of virtualisation, but it might be in the user manual.

• i think it will work but this is a standard gaming/desktop setup, not a energy saving nas setup and not a real Server.
    but your conditions are far away from normal nas usage too.

Equipment: a few Computers, lot's of waste heat, little time and a Pile of work.

When solving problems, dig at the root instead of hacking at the leaves.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok then can you reply my questions and recommend a better build?

I haven't built for a long time, but I would have to agree with @Rd65 that's over and above the norm if there is such a thing, my current setup is a Microserver, the one before was a second hand commercial server the difference being the commercial server had the capability to enable virtualisation as I was running two vm's.

The microserver runs as a file server, 6 Dockers, and a backup for workstation and laptops, any rsync jobs, snapraid scrubs etc are done after hours, would I run a vm on it, no, probably wouldn't be a good idea anyway.

Looking at the spec for that Ryzen the TPD for that is 65W but it's listed as a gaming cpu.

If this was me I would be looking at something on the mini itx format but with the capability to run vm's and possibly with an Intel cpu with Quick Sync as I think this is supported by plex. You can run Nvidia but the setup is different there are more hoops to jump through.

• i think it will work but this is a standard gaming/desktop setup, not a energy saving nas setup and not a real Server.

Why didn't you answer the questions and give a better feedback? But, you reply with this is a standard desktop setup.
    (QNAP uses intel celeron.. and it's very weak for encryption storages drives )

I haven't built for a long time, but I would have to agree with @Rd65 that's over and above the norm if there is such a thing, my current setup is a Microserver, the one before was a second hand commercial server the difference being the commercial server had the capability to enable virtualisation as I was running two vm's.
    The microserver runs as a file server, 6 Dockers, and a backup for workstation and laptops, any rsync jobs, snapraid scrubs etc are done after hours, would I run a vm on it, no, probably wouldn't be a good idea anyway.

Looking at the spec for that Ryzen the TPD for that is 65W but it's listed as a gaming cpu.

If this was me I would be looking at something on the mini itx format but with the capability to run vm's and possibly with an Intel cpu with Quick Sync as I think this is supported by plex. You can run Nvidia but the setup is different there are more hoops to jump through.

I came here to get feedback but no one is answering the topic and finding me alternatives.

I asked people and someone built me a similar PC so I upgraded the ram, added GPU because AMD CPU doesn't come with integrated graphics. (Apparently, most of the people I talked with didn't know it and if I would buy that parts I won't get any display)

Seriously, no one know how to do PC build or give a good feedback?

By the way, I choose AMD CPU because it's cheaper and people recommend it more than intel(a lot of Security BUGS)

I tried to learn as much as possible(difference between freenas, unraid, omv, ECC RAM vs non-ECC RAM, AMD CPUs) but I can't find my answers :(

• ok i try to answer.

we think you want to buy a car.
    you need a fast car. for whatever reason. build in Germany. becaus of no speedlimits on Highways. maybe...
    but you also want to make apartment moves so that you can save shipping costs.
    it should have nice alloy wheels
    and pull at least as much as a john deere tractor
    in the mud...
    and it can not cost more than a month's salary .. no one knows how much that is

That's about your requirement profile... translated to a car.
    the problem is ... you can buy everything individually. maybe cheap. But not together, and if it does, then it is very expensive.
    Its the same at your requirement profile.

fast encryptet filesystems need special hardware which is expensive. Let's talk about 6GB/s SAS controller with lots of cache.
    A VM with windows needs lots of Ram and fast CPUs and fast Disks. but fast cpus and disks use lots of power.
    Now we have a Server with an SAS, some Disks (raid is a mini form of encyption too, but you can use expensive encryption keys)
    A normal Nas uses 20W-150W/h... your Server... maybe 600-1000W/h.
    But does it fit youre requirments?
    Its big, its fast, you can use VMs... but its not a home-nas and it costs 10.000€!
    Your design is a compromis and it will work but noboddy can answer, if it is a good one.
    You can size your needs and size the hardware, but both depends on you.

Lot's of People uses spare parts for nas, build them, try them, change parts and so on. this is why its called homegrown.
    The bandwith goes from RasPI with old USB2 Disk till Rackserversarrays... depend of the User. There is no "right one".
    For Beginners the easyest and cheapest way is to start with a Raspi3 or 4 for about 50 Bucks...and a usb3 Disk. Its equivalent to small nas entry models like synology and qnap. Some People use 2x8TB on these Dwarfs.
    But if you want P.O.W.E.R ... your design may be ok as a entry solution. but you will curse on the Energy costs.
    I think its more important that a System is stable and reliable.

I use a AMD Fx8150 with 16 GB Ram and sata softraid .. it fits my actual needs, but most of time it sleeps. If it dosn't fit anymore, i will build the next one. smaller.. bigger.. who knows... A nas ist not like a Car... if you put a Raspi in the Trashcan, or use it for other projects... or reassemble the big nas for other needs... noboddy else can tell you if it is worth.

Equipment: a few Computers, lot's of waste heat, little time and a Pile of work.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Rd65 ()

Why didn't you answer the questions and give a better feedback? But, you reply with this is a standard desktop setup.
    (QNAP uses intel celeron.. and it's very weak for encryption storages drives )

I came here to get feedback but no one is answering the topic and finding me alternatives.

I asked people and someone built me a similar PC so I upgraded the ram, added GPU because AMD CPU doesn't come with integrated graphics. (Apparently, most of the people I talked with didn't know it and if I would buy that parts I won't get any display)

Seriously, no one know how to do PC build or give a good feedback?

By the way, I choose AMD CPU because it's cheaper and people recommend it more than intel(a lot of Security BUGS)

I tried to learn as much as possible(difference between freenas, unraid, omv, ECC RAM vs non-ECC RAM, AMD CPUs) but I can't find my answers :(

That is very cool story man, not helpful and you didn't show me any alternative to the setup.
    I know that there is a problem with the setup else why would I asked here?

Someone else who know how this stuff work and can help?

• People posting full quotes of own posts should not complain about the garbage of other people!

• I understand English is not your main language, neither is mine, but talking to people like that, is not going to persuade others of being kind and helpful towards your doubts, questions and needs.

You questions in the main post are vague, too wide, or uncomprehensible, as some other user tried to explain previously... As you just opened your account, i would suggest you to either delete it, and create a new one and start over again with some refreshed attitude, or apologize to your fellow members, and follow the basic guidelines of making proper questions in a forum, which undoubtely will grant you more helpful tips and a more simpathetic attitude from others.

Cheers mate! (and sorry for the unasked advice)...

How to make a good question on a technical forum ---> https://www.biostars.org/p/75548/
    How to make a good question on a forum and get an answer ---> https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2332684

• Hi FreshNAS, your usage scenario seems a bit much for a usual NAS. Especially the last two points need a little bit more than a NAS provides. As mentioned before by other members here a NAS handles mainly data. For me it seems you looking more for a server.

I can´t give you advice what hardware you should use for your scenarios especially nobody knows exactly what you want to achieve with the VM and webservers. My advice to you adjust your CPU and RAM to the OS and loads of the VM and webserver. If you are not sure how much traffic and load these need start with a system and mainboard as cheap as possible but with the most range and compatibility to better cpus and RAM.

there are plenty of hardware vendors and products available but from your description I would advise you to look for server hardware.

Hope that helps you to choose the correct parts.

• @kirkdis thank you.
    I agree with what you said but I thought OMV is a NAS thing..

In the beginning I wanted NAS only for **storing my files** and put it on the self. But, as I read people said QNAP and Synology are weak for encryption storage so after exploring I found out that I can do more so why not?
    Also these stuff (Calibre, etc) mentioned in /r/homelab.
    And I watched **almost** whole videos of "Techno Dad Life" channel and I find some missing content that he didn't explain.( I don't have old PC to use as NAS)

I don't mind giving up on the virtualization but then which build should it be?

@Rd65 I don't agree with you. I think you are disrespectful and trashing my thread.

To all people suggested raspberry pi: you do it! I don't want to plug external hard drive to raspberry pi it's super slow.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't mind giving up on the virtualization but then which build should it be?

Now this I like, whilst it's a 6 bay and you initially suggested 2 drives it allows for future expansion, add that to one of their board suggestions (they have only listed three) this would alleviate a GPU. As far as an Intel CPU is concerned I wouldn't worry all my laptop's at home are Intel as is my workstation.
    I have always kept track of that site purely for the fact that mini itx has always interested me, but I'm sure they would give you suggestions as to a board and processor for virtualisation. You also have to remember that m'board manufacturers are geared towards windows and if you look at some of the user manuals they are just mind boggling.

• I really like my mini ITX ASRock server board and case. Wasn't cheap but it can handle 12 SATA drives.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!