[ALERT NOOB] Help and suggestions for building first NAS

• Offizieller Beitrag

I really like my RPi4 OMV NAS. Flirc case. 2X8TB old Seagate SMR archive drives as ext4 with mergerfs in an external enclosure. It sure was cheap but it handles 16TB just fine. Mainly used for backup snapshots. Sips power by the thimble but it is mostly turned off.

@FreshNAS:

Have you considered backups? If your data is important enough to be encrypted, I assume you don't want to lose it all?

One way to stop being a total noob could be to setup a much more modest and simple backup NAS first. Could be a valuable experience before setting up something more beefy. I even suspect that it might help you save not only your data from being lost but also money from being spent, by allowing you to make more informed decisions.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I really like my RPi4 OMV NAS. Flirc case. 2X8TB old Seagate SMR archive drives as ext4 with mergerfs in an external enclosure.

That is interesting would never have thought of doing that, have you updated the firmware on the Pi4 for the CPU?

@FreshNAS sorry I'm hijacking your thread.

• an nice board.
    Intel C2550: 2x SATA 6Gb/s & 4x SATA 3 Gb/s
    Marvell SE9172 : 2x SATA 6Gb/s
    Marvell SE9230 : 4x SATA 6Gb/s
    this board in a cassis like a Icy Box IB-3810U3 ... but that may not fit.
    What do you think about intel Nucs? like this one? Intel NUC8i7BEH

Equipment: a few Computers, lot's of waste heat, little time and a Pile of work.

When solving problems, dig at the root instead of hacking at the leaves.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is interesting would never have thought of doing that, have you updated the firmware on the Pi4 for the CPU?
    @FreshNAS sorry I'm hijacking your thread.

No. All is vanilla. Works fine. I think the RPi4 is seriously overpowered for this task...

• I don't pay much attention to prebuilt PCs. One would have to be really outstanding before I would consider buying one. I've been building them from parts for more than 30 years.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I want NAS for two things:
    * Backup storage (RAID1) - storage must be encrypted
    * Downloading Media from the internet and access it from web server something like that

Can you build me a better PC instead the one I listed above?

• Who do you ask? If me then I think intel nuc is crap

• Offizieller Beitrag

So

I want NAS for two things:* Backup storage (RAID1) - storage must be encrypted
    * Downloading Media from the internet and access it from web server something like that

Can you build me a better PC instead the one I listed above?

Yes, I can build you a much better NAS. No matter what specs you come up with it is always possible to build something bigger, faster, stronger. No problem at all. What is difficult is to build a NAS that is good enough.

Your suggested hardware is more than enough combined with the right software and the right setup. With ample room to grow.

If I understand you correctly you consider RAID1 to be a form of backup? And you don't intend to implement any other form of backup?

Unfortunately RAID is not backup. Confusing RAID with backups is a very common noob mistake. Without good backups and/or snapshots, you will lose data sooner or later.

• @FreshNAS
    if you had been asked, you would know for sure.
    But can you explain your opinion to a noob like me?

Equipment: a few Computers, lot's of waste heat, little time and a Pile of work.

• I want to use NAS as backup as I said.
    Can you build a different one as people said it's not good?

• Offizieller Beitrag

To build a NAS that is good enough, but not total silly overkill, you need to know in advance exactly what you actually need and exactly what you will be capable to put to use. That requires knowledge and experience, something a noob may lack.

That was why I suggested you start with building a simple and more modest NAS that perhaps can serve as backup for a future much more powerful NAS. And try all the stuff you intend to use on the bigger NAS. Or at least as much as possible. That is a very good way to get knowledge and experience. After that you are no longer a noob and may be more able to decide what will you need and what you will get. And can perhaps spend the money more wisely.

Even a small NAS built on a Raspberry Pi 4, a weak-ass NUC or some old PC or old laptop would work well as a test and learn rig. You can install OMV, setup encrypted shares, add dockers for download, configure media streamers and all the rest. Performance will most likely not be so good for actual use of everything at once, but more than good enough to test and learn and get experience.

If you later don't need the small NAS as a backup NAS to a bigger NAS, it might become a great combined NAS and media streaming server to give away to some relative. Or a smart-home server with storage for surveillance cameras. Or a pi-hole and pf-sense router. Or whatever.

• isn't it clear that im not looking for raspberry pi?
    I want a PC build but I'm not sure whether the pc build is ok or i should switch something.

• what are the alternatives you think about?
    isn't it clear that nobody can give you absolution?
    All People in this Thread told you... think about it ... and then do it.
    You got lots of important Info and advices... including other setups and reasons for.
    what else do you need?

• @FreshNAS: Please do not fully quote if you refer to a directly preceding post. This is unnecessary and makes the whole thread harder to read.

You are quite new to this forum. That's why we are lenient with you and we hope for your complacency ;)

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• @FreshNAS: Please do not fully quote if you refer to a directly preceding post. This is unnecessary and makes the whole thread harder to read.

You are quite new to this forum. That's why we are lenient with you and we hope for your complacency ;)

is there a way to restrict someone from posting on my thread?
    It seems peope on this forum don't what is the difference between motherboard, cpu, etc
    Secondly, IMO people don't want to take responsibility and don't want to build a PC for me.
    TL;DR : no one replied to my questions except one and the rest didn't helped. I don't need your advise on spending more money.
    If someone can help me go ahead but if you want to write advise PM me not here.
    Thanks

• is there a way to restrict someone from posting on my thread?

If you insist to do this, open a forum members profile. Then on the right side there is a bar. With the second symbol from the left you can block a user.

You see that you can get quite reasonable answers here.

from posting on my thread?

Yes, you are the thread starter. But it is not your or anyones thread. Sorry, but that´s your misunderstanding.

All answers I can see here are related to the topic. Sometimes this results in branches of the main thread. That can be very informative for other forum members, also when it differs a little bit from the original purpose of the thread.
    If you want to bring the thread back to the original path, ask a specific question. In a friendly tone, without complaining. And without giving lots of dislikes.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von cabrio_leo ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!