New Harddrive advice for HC2 (at least 10TB)

• Hello.

The 6TB WD Red in my Odroid HC2 is getting a bit full and I would be really grateful for some advice for a larger replacement.

Ideally, I think 10TB would be adequate, although I could stretch to 12TB if it was not hugely more.

Any suggestions/pointers would be very much appreciated.

The current drive is mainly used for recording and streaming recorded TV/ripped DVDs, so it does not have to be super quick.

Is it worth taking into consideration power usage, when making my decision?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I use five Ironwolf 12TB and four Exos X16 16TB drives in my HC2s. All work fine. I have used Ironwolf 8TB and some old 8TB Seagate Archive SMR drives as well. Also fine.

At least as long as you don't try to change/set any of the physical disk properties in the OMV GUI. Set the disk spindown by reflashing the SATA/USB bridge firmware.

I think the power requirements are pretty constant regardless of the size of the drive. So you get more storage per Watt with the biggest drives. Also if you calculate the total cost for putting disk storage online, then for bigger drives cost per TB online is not so bad. Add up the cost of the server divided by number of used drive bays. And cost of the switch port. And the cables. And so on. Also I like the space saving from not needing a lot of drives. And the three or five year warranty...

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Adoby ()

• Thank you for this - apologies that I did not reply earlier.

I have since decided to go for 12TB but still yet to buy anything.

I do like the Ironwolf's but they seem to be over £50.00 more than a Toshiba N300 in the UK - however, I have read that the Toshiba's are very noisy.

I have also done some reading up on "shucking" as mentioned above - very interesting.

I could get 12TB for a smidge over £200.00:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-De…3ABFYB8Q&th=1&tag=av0c-21

However, I have few issues with this:

1. Are there warranty issues with removing the hard drive?
    2. Is there any way to tell which hard drive I might receive?

• Hi elsmandino,

I bought two of the 12TB WD My Books myself a few weeks ago.

1.) As far as I know you loose the 3 year warranty when remove the drive from the enclosure... But: As long as the enclosure remains undamaged, you can put the drive back in and take advantage of the guarantee. You have to be very careful when you remove the drive. There are videos on youtube which will help you. I did it that way (sorry for the german language).

2.) Its extremely likely that it is a WD120EDAZ. See this. In my case it was the same.

p.parker

Odroid HC1 | WD Blue 1TB SSD | OMV 5.6.26-1 (Usul) | 4.14.222-odroidxu4

• Thanks PP.

Managed to bag myself a 12TB WD Elements drive whilst they were on special at £190.00 - an amazing amount of storage for the price.

Only seems to carry a 2-year guarantee (compared to the My Book that you bought), but definitely worth it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!