Wow... crying Uncle! Uncle! Could this be any more difficult?

• background:Running omv5, on a dedicated 1tb nvme ssd (which also has config folders for docker Plex etc)
    HAD a 6x8tb and 4x12tb mdadm btrfs raid 5 array...

Look I admit to being new, new to omv, and new to Linux in general... But for freaks sake, could any of this be more counter-intuitive?

Unmount a drive? Sure type umount (we got too be stingy with our letter N's) instead of uNmount

Try to cd into /srv/dev-disk-by-label-easystore/cj/ "not found" hmm why not /srv/usb1/cj?
    ls > guess what... It shows up
    So... why the heck can't I cd into it to cp stuff to my raid (boy that was a mess to deal with)...

I've had to start over, because I made the mistake of rebooting the server to install proxmox kernel to try and get my damned USB 5gbe nic running (which still isn't), and screwed my btrfs to hell and back...

Fine... Bought 6x12tb USB hard drives and backed everything up...

Started over, wiped mdadm, filesystem this time ext4... now don't know how to copy shit from USB back to server, mind that it has to be done via ssh...

Tell me there's more to life than this... I honestly would PAY someone to set this shit up, because I'm literally about to throw it all out the window... All 10x12tb and 6x8tb... Because this could cause a nun to drink... :cursing:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unmount a drive? Sure type umount (we got too be stingy with our letter N's) instead of uNmount

That is Linux not OMV.

why not /srv/usb1/cj?

It is the naming convenient chosen for OMV to eliminate duplicates. Your suggestion could have tons of duplicates.

why the heck can't I cd into it to cp stuff to my raid (boy that was a mess to deal with)...

Does the user you are using have permissions?

Tell me there's more to life than this... I honestly would PAY someone to set this shit up, because I'm literally about to throw it all out the window... All 10x12tb and 6x8tb... Because this could cause a nun to drink...

Have you watch any videos here - https://forum.openmediavault.o…ntermediate-and-Advanced/? Since I'm assuming you are windows user, have you looked at any basic Linux tutorials?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I know... I sound like a whiny beyotch... I also know most of this isn't omv it's Linux, and I really didn't mean to make it sound like it's was omv's fault... I suppose I was just frustrated at meaningless error message after error message... I honestly saw one about salt something or other and btrfs at the same time... Wanted some bread... (Salted butter... Nevermind my brain is wierd)

All I wanted to do was to copy everything to the USB drives, copy the docker configs to the system ssd, wipe the mdadm (Oye was THAT fun) and its associated shares, and build it again, with ext4 this time instead of btrfs... And I'm currently doing all this to my server in florida over ssh on a cell phone from Canada...

I accomplished just about everything, rebuilt mdadm, filesystem is now ext4, for whatever reason the shares re-appeared in the list, no biggie, just edited them to the new md0... Too bad all my permissions are screwed, and I can't change anything without a 3 page error that I don't understand... Used mount to make new easier to understand mount points, and as soon as my data transfers back into the server will attempt to get docker with sonarr and Plex back up...

I guess my question is, if people know that Linux is not intuitive, why don't the devs try to make it more so? Not just the omv devs by the way... I really WANT to love all the distros... I had an Ubuntu rig and an armbian as my daily drivers for about a year... And even still had GREAT difficulty this time around... If it wasn't for the hand holding that omv does, I'd be making a listing on eBay for my hardware by now...

By the way, I watched quite a few techno dad life videos... And was able to INITIALLY get up and running in short order with zero issues... I even rsynced the data into the box... Docker, Plex, sonarr, etc with 40tb... I ran into trouble when I installed prox kernel to try and get my USB 5gbe nic running (which still doesn't), and rebooted and screwed my btrfs filesystem ("parent transid verify failed")... Couldn't ever recover from that so just decided to start over...

• Offizieller Beitrag

if people know that Linux is not intuitive, why don't the devs try to make it more so?

Linux (and really Unix) has been around for 40 years. While Windows users may not find it intuitive, it just makes sense to me and probably the devs.

I ran into trouble when I installed prox kernel to try and get my USB 5gbe nic running (which still doesn't),

The backports kernel (5.3) right now is newer than the proxmox kernel (5.0). The proxmox 5.3 kernel should be ready soon (need to check). If none of those work, it would be more fun you don't like getting it to work.

screwed my btrfs filesystem ("parent transid verify failed")

Brave to run that large of a btrfs raid 5 array...

The error in the attached pic is a new one. I would delete that shared folder (maybe the moves messed it up?) and re-create it.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!