AMD vs Intel for 50TB NAS build

• Hello all,

With AMD making a charge since Threadripper was released, I was wondering if Intel is still the preferred medium for a NAS server build these days. My usage for my NAS is as follows:

• 4k movie streaming across gigabit lan and wireless (less so to wireless) via Orbi mesh wifi I have in the house
    • Doing home automation with HASS.IO
    • Potentially spinning up a VM (or other Dockers) for web development
    • Backups of personal computers in the house (2)

Basically this will be my main media/streaming server. I know AMD has always lead the way with more efficient power consumption, so can someone shed some light if I should still be looking for Intel or maybe there is a more efficient AMD server-class board that would be better. I need a board with at least 10 SATA ports and ideally with IPMI for headless usage. Any assistance would be appreciated thank you!

2 Configurations I was weighing up (Intel):

MB: SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SRL-F Server Motherboard LGA 2011 R3
    CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1650 V3 Haswell-EP 3.5 GHz 6 x 256 KB L2 Cache 15MB L3 Cache LGA 2011-3 140W Server Processor BX80644E51650V3
    RAM: HYNIX HMA41GR7MFR4N-TF Hynix DDR4-2133 8GB1Gx4 ECCREG CL15 Samsung Chip Server Memory (x4)

MB: GIGABYTE C246-WU4 LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel C246 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard
    CPU: Intel Xeon E-2136 Coffee Lake 3.3 GHz LGA 1151 80W BX80684E2136 Server Processor
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Desktop Memory Model F4-2400C15Q-32GRR

The first configuration is more expensive but I get IPMI with it. Second configuration is cheaper, without IPMI, but the processor uses almost 50% less power. Thoughts? Other suggestions?

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von aitrus00 () aus folgendem Grund: Adding configurations I'm contemplating

• The biggest advantages of Intel is that it support Hardware transcoding under linux with the integrated GPU. Plex only support AMD hardware transcoding on Windows.
    You still can buy a cheap nvidia card and use it for hardware transcoding. In that case I think AMD threadpripper/epic are just better than Intel in everything.

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• 50 Tb... wow... how do you connect these Disks? Do you own a SAS Storage Array Expander Rack?
    i think its better to start with a 5TB Array... and some Sata Disks...

maybe you searching for something like this:

Equipment: a few Computers, lot's of waste heat, little time and a Pile of work.

When solving problems, dig at the root instead of hacking at the leaves.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Rd65 ()

• I have IPMI and have found it very useful.

For data storage and network streaming pretty much any processor will work. Like Blabla mentioned, the only time it really matters is if you're transcoding. I have box with a pentium G series that can transcode almost as fast as my dual xeon box with 12 hyperthreaded cores because it has GPU acceleration. And it does it using much less power.

My desktop machine beats them both using an Nvidia card with nvenc for encoding.

• Offizieller Beitrag

50 Tb... wow... how do you connect these Disks? Do you own a SAS Storage Array Expander Rack?

Pretty easy with a motherboard with 10 sata ports and 8TB hard drives. The LSI 9211-8i clones (IBM M1015, Dell Perc H700, etc) make it very easy to add 8 or 16 more sata drives. I had 32 drives (all 1 and 2 TB drives back then) on a system at one time with no expanders.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• i am happy with my new m5015 (LSI 9260-8i)... i use 7 sata disks a 2 TB. Next time i may use a LSi 9266-8i but this one was cheap and i can't use pcie3. the more important question is which disks are used. 2 or 4 TB wd red drives are ok but shingeling drives like seagates are verry bad! so its easy to get a fast and reliable 25 tb storage (8*4 tb)... but 50 tb.. hmmmm... ok may be with 2 controllers, 2x 8xpcie onboard and a huge cassis with 16 drivebays... but if you plan this... then a SAS Storage Array Expander and SAS Drives may be a better choice. and it even makes no sense to do softwareraid on 16 disks...

Equipment: a few Computers, lot's of waste heat, little time and a Pile of work.

When solving problems, dig at the root instead of hacking at the leaves.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Rd65 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

2 or 4 TB wd red drives are ok but shingeling drives like seagates are verry bad! so its easy to get a fast and reliable 25 tb storage (8*4 tb)... but 50 tb.. hmmmm... ok may be with 2 controllers, 2x 8xpcie onboard and a huge cassis with 16 drivebays... but if you plan this... then a SAS Storage Array Expander and SAS Drives may be a better choice. and it even makes no sense to do softwareraid on 16 disks...

WD Red Pro 10TB 7200 rpm drives are not shingled (they are pmr).

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Pretty easy with a motherboard with 10 sata ports and 8TB hard drives. The LSI 9211-8i clones (IBM M1015, Dell Perc H700, etc) make it very easy to add 8 or 16 more sata drives. I had 32 drives (all 1 and 2 TB drives back then) on a system at one time with no expanders.

I think many consumer ATX has 8 Sata ports. The only thing to pay attention for is for the OS. Many MB will disable two Sata ports if you connect an M2 sata SSD, so it's best to buy a cheap m2 NVME.
    Also, since we are atalking about ATX motherboard, it's easy to find cheap pci-e sata adapter with 4/6 ports.
    You would still have enough space for a cheap nvidia card for transcoding.

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• Thanks for all the comments. I'd like to go the AMD route if possible for the lighter power consumption. I'm fine to add a dedicated video card if need be. The issue I have is finding AMD boards that have 10x sata ports and IPMI. IPMI is a luxury that I suppose I can do without so not a big issue if I don't have it (unless you out there have used IPMI and it's a feature you can't live without now).

i am happy with my new m5015 (LSI 9260-8i)... i use 7 sata disks a 2 TB. Next time i may use a LSi 9266-8i but this one was cheap and i can't use pcie3. the more important question is which disks are used. 2 or 4 TB wd red drives are ok but shingeling drives like seagates are verry bad! so its easy to get a fast and reliable 25 tb storage (8*4 tb)... but 50 tb.. hmmmm... ok may be with 2 controllers, 2x 8xpcie onboard and a huge cassis with 16 drivebays... but if you plan this... then a SAS Storage Array Expander and SAS Drives may be a better choice. and it even makes no sense to do softwareraid on 16 disks...

I am using 8TD WD Red (5400RPM) drives. I have 8 of them leaving 2 sata ports for my boot drive (if I get a board with 10x SATA on it). I don't think I have a full understanding of the recommendations here, whether to go Intel or AMD, and if the configurations I have above would work for what I am looking to do. or if I should take a totally different route with MB/CPU/RAM.

• What's IPMI? Why not go for an other b450 mATX with 6 sata ports?

Zitat

I am using 8TD WD Red (5400RPM) drives. I have 8 of them leaving 2 sata ports for my boot drive (if I get a board with 10x SATA on it). I don't think I have a full understanding of the recommendations here, whether to go Intel or AMD, and if the configurations I have above would work for what I am looking to do. or if I should take a totally different route with MB/CPU/RAM.

Why not go for an SSD NVME for the OS? Also, I don't think there are many 10 sata motheboard for consumer :( I think even 8 are a lot :( You can still consider a sata adapter like this one: 4 sata ports

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Blabla ()

• What's IPMI?

I don't think there are many 10 sata motheboard for consumer :( I think even 8 are a lot :(

IPMI......well if you read up on it or knew about it first hand you might understand why IPMI is a highly desirable feature.

Not sure what you really mean by consumer here. I'm a consumer and my OMV server has IPMI and 12 SATA ports.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• IPMI......well if you read up on it or knew about it first hand you might understand why IPMI is a highly desirable feature.
    Not sure what you really mean by consumer here. I'm a consumer and my OMV server has IPMI and 12 SATA ports.

Ah sorry, I only knew it as DRAC (from Dell). Sadly Asus,asrock, gigabyte and MSI don't support this kind of technlogy :(

• Not sure what you mean here but ASRock supports IPMI on many of their boards including mine.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sadly Asus,asrock, gigabyte and MSI don't support this kind of technlogy

All four of those companies make boards (typically their workstation boards) with IPMI. Lots of Intel boards including laptops have MEI or RMM for remote administration too.

I have three boards with ipmi - two supermicro and one asrock rack. I have a Dell poweredge with DRAC (dell ipmi) too. I use ILO (HP ipmi) and Lenovo's ipmi all day at work. Very nice to have.

• I think I am going to go with this:

MB: SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SRL-F Server Motherboard LGA 2011 R3
    CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1650 V3 Haswell-EP 3.5 GHz 6 x 256 KB L2 Cache 15MB L3 Cache LGA 2011-3 140W Server Processor BX80644E51650V3
    RAM: HYNIX HMA41GR7MFR4N-TF Hynix DDR4-2133 8GB1Gx4 ECCREG CL15 Samsung Chip Server Memory (x4)

Next question I have would be how much wattage should I target for a power supply? Can someone recommend a good one, knowing what I am putting in this monster with HDs and components?

• The Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM is one of the best low watt you can find. Don't go under 400W because every psu on the market with 350W or lower are made with an worse technology, that's why I went for the 400W and not a lower one.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!