Install Plex Media Server without Docker

• Hi all,

I've been using OMV about four years since OMV v3, and I like the community and the OS.
    With OMV5, there is no plugin for Plex Media Server, but I managed to installed and using it with Lets Encrypt.
    I can post the instructions in here if anybody is interested.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• Offizieller Beitrag

You don’t have to rely on Docker for update or its service.

There is an official plex docker (amd64 only though) that looks updated often. So, I would guess they have automation to push a new image whenever they release a new version. So, I doubt there is any wait for versions. Due to the size of the company, I would guess there are less disruptions with service on docker hub than the plex debian repo.

Don’t have the option to move the thread.

If you do write a guide, it will need to be approved by a moderator to be in the guide section. And we ask that it follows the format of the pinned guide formatting thread.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• One thing that is not all that well understood is that updates to a Plex Docker are not the same thing as updates to the Plex Media Server application that is being run by the docker. These are two very different things.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

One thing that is not all that well understood is that updates to a Plex Docker are not the same thing as updates to the Plex Media Server application that is being run by the docker. These are two very different things.

Can you explain what you mean in more detail? With the plex docker I linked to, your application will be a different version with a newer image.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Some, but perhaps not all Plex dockers do not contain the actual application - they download it when first run.

For these dockers the mechanism used to check for and obtain an update to a newer version of the application is to restart the container.

If a newer version of the application is available, it will be downloaded and replace the current version.

For these types of the docker there is no need to update to the latest version of the docker in order to be able to keep the application current. Just restart the container.

Also, for these types of the docker updating the docker to a later version is no guarantee that there is also available a later version of the application.

These capabilities and behaviors are fairly well explained in the container documentation. But if the docs aren't read................

See the Tags section of the docs for the official Plex docker here:

Code
    https://github.com/plexinc/pms-docker

See the Application Setup section of the Linuxserver.io Plex docker here:

Code
    https://github.com/plexinc/pms-docker

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

For these types of the docker there is no need to update to the latest version of the docker in order to be able to keep the application current. Just restart the container.

Also, for these types of the docker updating the docker to a later version is no guarantee that there is also available a later version of the application.

That makes sense. The plugin/omv-extras had the same issue - ust because the repo was enabled didn't mean a newer package was in the plex repo and people would get the absolute latest release.

• Hi

tinh_x7

I know I am late to the game, but interested in adding Plex to OMV , without having to use Docker, did you create a Guide, or can you share your HowTo ?

Cheers

• Offizieller Beitrag

You don't really need an OMV guide... Just follow any Plex server guide out there for Debian Buster (I'm assuming we are talking OMV 5 here). Main thing is just make sure Plex doesn't use Port 80, which OMV uses (It doesn't by default I don't think, so it shouldn't be an issue).

I've not tried it, but a quick look at this one it should work, or maybe Plex has official instructions on their site.

https://www.linuxbabe.com/debi…a-server-debian-10-buster

• All it takes are three lines of code to install plex without docker:

Code
    echo deb https://downloads.plex.tv/repo/deb public main | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/plexmediaserver.list
    curl https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-keys/PlexSign.key | sudo apt-key add -
    sudo apt-install plexmediaserver

IMHO that's pretty easy and updates appear shortly after there's news about it in the forum.

• The problem with this is that the Library database will, by default, be located on the rootfs. Depending on how you use Plex, how small your system drive is, and how large your media collection is, it can be quickly filled up. When this happens, everything stops working and most users will have no idea why or how to fix it.

If you are going to install Plex this way, immediately set up an override file to relocate the Library database to be on a data drive. Search the plex.tv user forum for how to do this.

--

• True, I remember that happening.

Thanks for mentioning this drawback, it definately caused me some hassles.

For anyone interested the regarding topic is explained here.

TL;DR:

sudo systemctl stop plexmediaserver

sudo systemctl edit plexmediaserver

insert:

Code
    [Service]
    # Move the data directory
    Environment="PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR=/srv/dev-disk-by-label-XYZ/PLEX/Library/Application Support"

sudo systemctl deamon-reload

add user plex to video-group: sudo usermod -a -G video plex

change owner in new library folder to plex: sudo chown -R plex:video /somepath/Application\ Support/

remove old library folder (created on installation): rm -rf /var/lib/plexmediaserver

sudo systemctl start plexmediaserver

Although I realize the sudden deprecation of by-label-mountpoints asks for a modification of my setup...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Please don't make double posts

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!