RPi and other SBC/armbian images

• There is any preferable way to measure the speed of a file transfer?

I use AJA System Teste on osx and windows:

Machine 1 osx - 10MB/s write and 25MB/s read

Machine 1 w10 - 29MB/s write and 31MB/s read

Machine 2 ubuntu - 16MB/s write and 16MB/s read

Machine 2 w10 - 33MB/s write and 32MB/s read

Both machines were close to router on a 5GHz connection with a bandwidth around 750mbps. The test a use 1GB file.

I read that some of you got speeds near 100MBs. What could cause it?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You need to find the bottleneck.

There are tools that can measure only the disk read and write speeds. There are tools that can measure only the speed of the network connection.

One good starting point is to try to optimize to get as close as possible to the theoretical maximum. But then you first need to figure out what that is.

Then, once you achieve close to the theoretical maximum under optimum test circumstances, change to actual circumstances, on step at a time. And test to find out if something makes performance drop suddenly.

For a cabled GbE network that is easy. With good cables, and a decent switch, it is usually just a little less than 1Gb/s. Or slightly more than 100MB/s. Very little interfere as long as the computers have fast enough network cards, filesystems and disk access.

(NTFS on a Linux computer is often slow. USB is often slow.)

For a WiFi network it is very difficult. Surrounding WiFi networks can cause interference. Performance drop very fast depending on distance and what is between the WiFi stations. Especially 5GHz WiFi is very sensitive to distance and ANY object between the WiFi antennas. Test with all devices involved in the same room, turned so that the antennas are all in sight of each other, in the early morning when WiFi traffic in the neighborhood is low.

The WiFi bandwidth specified for a router is often the combined bandwidth for several simultaneous but different connections. Possibly 2.4GHz and 5GHz bandwidth is also added together, giving a nice big number that doesn't say anything about how fast a single WiFi connection may be under optimal circumstances.

I have a three node 5GHz WiFi mesh in my rural home. No neighbors with interfering WiFi. Over WiFi to a device I may, under very good circumstances, free sight, get around 30MB/s. More typically less than half of that if there are any walls or objects for the signal to pass.

Cabled connection from mesh nodes gives 60MB/s. (My mesh can combine the bandwidth for two wifi routes.)

Cabled connection all the way typically gives around 100MB/s.

• metRo_ your measurement are in the same range of what I measured for Wifi here, hence nothing to worry

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Guys, can you enlighten me, I installed the OMV in Raspbian Buster (Raspberry Pi 4) & Armbian Buster (Asus Tinkerboard) and enabled samba, both of them always showed me, this information and during the file transfer above 1 GB file size always buffered and failed to copied.

If I play video above 1 GB it will buffer and drop.

WSDD.PY -- Happen in Armbian & Raspbian

I followed the installation from OMV Github, as per-guide said.

I checked in syslog with enabled all Full Log for samba no detailed information.

DHCP -- Only happen in Armbian

In Armbian buster, even though I set the IP Address static from armbian-config, the syslog always said DHCP renew, DHCP renew. Indeed in my MikroTik I setup my network as DHCP but for several devices such as servers (and home automation devices) I set static from Router.

ops.png

static.PNG

I'm stuck right now how to make it stable in my SBC, If you have any link for references, do let me know.

Thank You.

• Offizieller Beitrag

When you say "enabled Samba" how did you do it? On the command line?

I set the IP Address static from armbian-config

You said you followed the guide, but nowhere in the guide is there anything about armbian-config.

This casts doubt on what you've done.

Realize that both of the problems you've posted are isolated, or this forum will light up with posts. (There are hundreds to thousands of installs per week.)

Here's the recommendation:

Follow the guides you find -> here. While there is some command line involved, unless the guide specifies it, don't get on the command line. Until you understand how it works, configure OMV from the GUI.

• When you say "enabled Samba" how did you do it? On the command line?

From your Web GUI, Services --> SMB/CIFS --> Enable.

You said you followed the guide, but nowhere in the guide is there anything about armbian-config.

Yes, there is no mention about that, I just want to emphasize before someone said, "instead of DHCP why you didn't set static?", so, yes, I inform you earlier that I change from DHCP to Static from armbian-config interface.

Follow the guides you find -> here. While there is some command line involved, unless the guide specifies it, don't get on the command line. Until you understand how it works, configure OMV from the GUI.

Sorry, If I'm not finished or done the installation, I would not asked anything about this OK, I just type in SSH to run your script and thats it! DONE, finished. There wasn't any single error during the installation.

So, the next thing is I run proper configuration as per I need to use, such us, NFS, smb/cif, rsync and so on BUT when I checked the SYSLOG there is some issues that need to be address, so I asked.

wssd.png

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, there is no mention about that, I just want to emphasize before someone said, "instead of DHCP why you didn't set static?", so, yes, I inform you earlier that I change from DHCP to Static from armbian-config interface.

But armbian-config uses network-manager which conflicts with netplan that OMV uses. This is most likely going to cause problems.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've fully updated my R-PI and a Rock64 (armbian), looking for an update issue, and have no issues with WSDD.

I copied a 1.3GB file (1080p) to the R-PI4 with no issues, and played it back with no buffering. And of note, the view streaming was done over a 2.4ghz wireless link (slow) while continuing to copy another large video file. There was nothing is syslog RE WSDD.

The only explanation I can think of might be related to your geographic region, and the software repo's access by the script. Where are you, approximately?

• But armbian-config uses network-manager which conflicts with netplan that OMV uses. This is most likely going to cause problems.

Hmmm ... I see, noted. I'll checked to armbian forum, if they have any trick or tips, or maybe, I'll use the lite version which excluded the armbian-config.

• I've fully updated my R-PI and a Rock64 (armbian), looking for an update issue, and have no issues with WSDD.

I copied a 1.3GB file (1080p) to the R-PI4 with no issues, and played it back with no buffering. And of note, the view streaming was done over a 2.4ghz wireless link (slow) while continuing to copy another large video file. There was nothing is syslog RE WSDD.

The only explanation I can think of might be related to your geographic region, and the software repo's access by the script. Where are you, approximately?

My Asus Tinkerboard armbian and Rpi4 face this same issue, hmmm, Indeed I am using our local mirror of raspbian and debian not default. OK, I'll checked with default repo of raspbian and debian, and let you know the update. Thanks.

I'm from Jakarta, Indonesia.

• But armbian-config uses network-manager which conflicts with netplan that OMV uses. This is most likely going to cause problems.

This one, DHCP issue solved.

Just finished fresh install Armbian & Raspbian using default repo, result still same.

I'm not configure anything yet, just directly enable the smb/cifs, the wsdd still shows error main loop

• I've fully updated my R-PI and a Rock64 (armbian), looking for an update issue, and have no issues with WSDD.

OK, so I found it the root issue of buffering in Asus Tinkerboard ARMBIAN, its the monit, I've increase the value of HDD space detection. so, now its SOLVED.

For the wsdd, still unknown, why it keep shows me error main loop. Currently, I just disable it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've noticed that they have a new image - 11 Jan 2020. I'm downloading it and will do a quick R-PI build.

**Edit: There's nothing quick about this download...

• Offizieller Beitrag

OK, I built the 01/11/21 image.
    I turned on SMB which uses the WSDD service.
    The R-PI appeared on the network.

I looked through syslg (attached) and didn't see any out of the normal messages regarding WSDD.
    BTW: The mirror used is at the top of the syslog file.

syslog.txt

• OK, here is my syslog, using your suggested repo

repo.PNG

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hmmm ... I see, noted. I'll checked to armbian forum, if they have any trick or tips, or maybe, I'll use the lite version which excluded the armbian-config.

You were always supposed to be using the "lite" version - the server or the minimal image. Bionic, Focal, Bullseye, won't work and the Desktop version of Buster is NOT recommended.

This is giving me pause for thought, again. The following is direct from the guide that you've claimed that you're using.

• **Important**
      - When selecting an Armbian image to download, for best possible compatibility with OMV5, select the Armbian Buster Server or Buster Minimal image for your device.

- On the Armbian device page, scroll down to bottom, to the “All download options” section, and select the Buster Server variant. If Buster Server is not available, Buster Minimal will work.

((Due to the potential for package conflicts, a Buster image with a desktop is not recommended or supported. Lastly, Bionic or Stretch images will not work with OMV5.))

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

I can't explain why I have freshly built both Armbian Buster minimal and Raspberry PI OS lite and both worked, while both of your builds are failing in the exact same way. I don't have an explanation for that.

Sorry. I don't have any ideas from here.

• Yo bro ~ chillax .... I just seek an advise for something that I did (do) miss(ed)

This is the first time I am being humiliated for something that obviously stated in your manual/guide, I read that bro, I read that .... to asure you, this is the images that I usually use for trial, testing and others things, there is no DESKTOP. Please, stop, doing prejudice or assumption, you can asked me to provide details of the OS's, Image's or something.

images.JPG

I provided you my syslog as well for you to check (did you checked?), I don't expect too much to have a GREAT SUPPORT from community unless I buy/bought support from you (OMV Team), Today was the 11th times I did installation of the OS and OMV and I did check-up every log slowly to make sure before I ask, I'm double check, did I missed something?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Please, stop, doing prejudice or assumption, you can asked me to provide details of the OS's, Image's or something.

1. I'm not using "prejudice". The quotes above are your own words. If you're not stating what you're using or doing, correctly, that leaves things in the same place - a basket load of unknowns.
    2. Further I have to work based on assumptions. The chief assumption is that the guide (if you used it) was followed accurately. Otherwise the potential variables become infinite.

I provided you my syslog as well for you to check (did you checked?

I checked your syslog against my own. I saw where wsdd went off the rails. Again, with reference to the build process, I don't have anything else to offer for the reason "why".

But I will ask you a question:
    The R-PI and Armbian builds are setup, by beginner users, in numbers between hundreds to thousands of times every week. You are the only one, that I'm aware of, to report the WSDD loop. And against really (really) long odds; you report that you have the exact same problem with two different builds with images coming for two separate sources (Armbian - Raspbian), on two separate hardware platforms (Tinkerboard and R-PI). Given the hundreds to thousands of installations that work, almost every time, can you explain that to me?

Here is what seems to be obvious to me:

- The commonality of the same error on two different builds and two different hardware platforms can't be ignored.
    - This issue, whatever it is, almost has to be on your end. (Or the forum would light up like a Christmas tree.)

Is it something you're doing? Does it have something to do with software sources in your region? Is it some kind of weird firewall issue with your router, a VPN device, etc., etc.? In the bottom line, what is it? The answer to all these questions is, "I don't know".

The bottom line is, sorry, I can't help you.

If you repost in a separate thread, I won't answer it. Perhaps someone with more experience than I have will answer it, and can guide you toward the source of this problem.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!