OMV5/Virtualbox

• God, why do I need to turn into a sys admin to run a simple virtual machine or two? I know this isn't the fault of the OMV community really, but it is highly annoying.

For people managing virtual machines using the suggested Cockpit... how is it with networking and external hardware? Basically I need my virtual machine to have it's own IP on the network and I have a Z-Wave and Zigbee USB sticks that need to work with the virtual machines.

In an ideal world I would just run ESXI on my server and have OMV run on top of it. But sadly ESXI is stupid and I would need to wipe my hard drives in order to add them to ESXI from what I experimented with it. Or does anyone know of any other bare metal hypervisors where I could just wipe the boot drive, install new copy of OMV and add the data drives (currently using ext4 with JBOD - so no RAID or anything else) without the need to wipe everything? I do have backups, I just don't want to use them ^^. If it could migrate the virtual machine that I use now (I did use the vmdk as the storage format for the drive) even better.

• Offizieller Beitrag

But sadly ESXI is stupid and I would need to wipe my hard drives in order to add them to ESXI from what I experimented with it. Or does anyone know of any other bare metal hypervisors where I could just wipe the boot drive, install new copy of OMV and add the data drives (currently using ext4 with JBOD - so no RAID or anything else) without the need to wipe everything?

Proxmox.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

ny special magic required to achieve something like this (if you happen to know)?

Proxmox is a Debian 10 userland running with an Ubuntu kernel with a web interface controlling KVM and LXC. I use it on many systems and it is great. I setup storage from command line then point Proxmox at a path but there are lots of options for storage in the web interface.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!