[HowTo] SnapRAID in OMV

• Offizieller Beitrag

Seems ok to me to run scrubs like that and text file is fine as well. I don't see where your script writes the counter value back to the file though.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Seems ok to me to run scrubs like that and text file is fine as well. I don't see where your script writes the counter value back to the file though.

Code
    echo $COUNTER > $COUNTERFILE

That's it ;)
    The additions look OK to me, too

• Offizieller Beitrag

Oops. Don't know how I missed that.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Hi, here I am... again :)

I'am experimenting with OMV and the SnapRaid plugin, but it gives me this error:

I have double checked the SnapRaid guide for OMV but I don't understand what I'm doing wrong...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can you post the output of:

cat /etc/snapraid.conf

• Sure, here it is:

• Offizieller Beitrag

You have a space in the disk name. Remove the space or put an underscore or dash between the names. I don't think snapraid can use a name with a space and I didn't add a check in the plugin to prevent. Lots of things in Linux don't like spaces in names or paths.

• New OMV user here :)

Running OMV 0.5 in a virtual environment (ESXi 5.5). Stumbled upon snapraid and i'm very interested to try this.
    I formatted each disk indivually and mounted them (6 drives total, sda is not listed since it's my virtual disk in esxi where OMV is installed on )

added 4 drives in snapraid - data (since i have 6 disks, i want to add 4 data drives and use 2 parity disks)

When i want to set a parity disk, im not able to select one. What am I doing wrong? (when i tick q-parity i am able to select a second disk btw)

Long story short;
    How can I fix this, and what's the way to go? Should I stick to OMV raid or should i go with snapraid? I'l mainly host mediafiles (XBMC) on my disks plus ESXi backups/snapshots.

• Offizieller Beitrag

With the version of xfs that is included with Debian Squeeze and OMV, snapraid can't use it for parity disks (see this). Wheezy will allow xfs. Until then, format your parity drives using ext4.

• Forgot to mention i'm using the backports kernel (3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64), but I guess that won't matter.
    I created 3 disks with ext4 as filesystem as a test and I can now select a parity disk indeed. Thanks :D

edit:
    added 6 disks to content, and 4 to data. Set 2 disks as parity. The first sync is done (only took a few minutes since drives are empty).

Created 4 shares on each drive and created a poolshare on the first drive. Linked the 4 branches to the poolshare. (AUFS)
    Getting 150mb/s write speeds when doing 3 files simultanously 2GB. With standard OMV RAID 6 setup i was able to get ~500mb/s max.
    Any reason to use Greyhole instead of AUFS btw?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can use xfs with the 3.2 kernel but the plugin won't let you. With OMV 0.6, it won't be an issue. Only the parity disks have to be ext4 now.

Greyhole is slower than aufs but is realtime. aufs doesn't stripe so it will always run at the speed of a single drive.

If you are looking for speed, use raid 6.
    If you are looking for multiple copies of files and pooling, use greyhole.
    If you have relatively static files (media collection), pooling, are just trying to saturate a gigabit link, and want the least loss of files if multiple drives fail, use snapraid and aufs.

• With which Command Must i use for a cronjob?

Server:
    BitFenix Phenom M - ASRock B75 Pro3-M - 8GB Crucial B.S. - Intel G2140 - Corsair CX430M - 1x 64GB SanDisk SDSSDP (system) - 2x 2TB WD20EARX (data) - 1x 3TB WD30EFRX (Snapraid) - TBS6981 DVB-S2 - OMV 0.5x

• Offizieller Beitrag

Here is a script to use for a cronjob.

• Thx what must I do with this?

Server:
    BitFenix Phenom M - ASRock B75 Pro3-M - 8GB Crucial B.S. - Intel G2140 - Corsair CX430M - 1x 64GB SanDisk SDSSDP (system) - 2x 2TB WD20EARX (data) - 1x 3TB WD30EFRX (Snapraid) - TBS6981 DVB-S2 - OMV 0.5x

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would put it in /root/. Then just put /root/omv-snapraid-diff for the command in cron.

• Hallo ich habe ein neu aufgesetztes System aktuelle OMV- Version 0.5x mit Snapraid 6
    es kommt zu dieser Fehlermeldung (siehe Bild)
    Was ist da los ? Wenn ich den Befehl snapraid --force-empty sync auf der Konsole starte
    wird wohl synchronisiert ....

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

I would put it in /root/. Then just put /root/omv-snapraid-diff for the command in cron.

thx

and for what is the omv-snapraid-dup file?
    or do I need only the file omv-snapraid-diff

Server:

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "noxx"

and for what is the omv-snapraid-dup file?
    or do I need only the file omv-snapraid-diff

That would be a good question for solo0815 :)

• That script is for my personal use, you can ignore it.
    The script checks for any duplicate files on the snapraid-data disks.
    1. it creates a txt-file with all the duplicates
    2. checks if the dup-file is older than the content file
    3. shows all the duplicates, except "rtf|ini|jpg|arw|jpg|raf|backup|TFTPd-images|tif|.db|xmv|wdd"

It isn't working without a fix, because /var/snapraid/content is missing

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!