[Solved]Is OMV 5.x stable enough for home usage?

• Hi all,

I just want to get a feedback, is OMV 5.x stable enough to be used for home use?

I am getting occasional error message popping up, while playing with OMV 5.x and started to doubt
    whether OMV 5.x is stable enough for home use. Of course, I am going to have a 2nd data back up
    on another machine, and I won't rely 100% on the OMV to hold my precious data.

I am interested in getting consensus among the community members who has migrated to OMV 5.x.

Is it well worth the time and effort to do an upgrade or just stick with the stable version of OMV 4.x
    for the time being, and give more time for OMV 5.x to mature and iron out any teething problems/bugs???

Thank you.

• I'm not having any issues with it at all... but I'm never one to recommend beta's to people who are very new to a particular software.

Personally, I'd go 4, and use Portainer for Docker/Container management instead of the docker-gui (It's gone in OMV 5). Unless you need 5 due to some hardware incompatibility, etc.. I'd go with 4.

What is the "occasional error" you're getting?

Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

• I'm not having any issues with it at all... but I'm never one to recommend beta's to people who are very new to a particular software.

Personally, I'd go 4, and use Portainer for Docker/Container management instead of the docker-gui (It's gone in OMV 5). Unless you need 5 due to some hardware incompatibility, etc.. I'd go with 4.

What is the "occasional error" you're getting?

Thanks for your feedback! :thumbup:

I did not take note the last error message, thinking that it is normal.

But before that previous error message was major, I cannot create a UnionFS ance hence I created a topic: Unionfs plugin- error occurred while creating a merge of 3 data disks

But since I was experimenting, and no one was able to assist me, I reinstalled everything in order
    to solve my own problem.

That is why I created this topic, asking forum community member's opinion in running OMV 5.x

• go ahead, try it. I currently have OMV 5 fully functional, including Portainer with nextcloud and maria DB docker active. Haven't had any problems at all other than the typical noob configuration issues. But it works perfectly.

• +1 for me on the positive side of OMV5, stable and using portainer for Docker and no issues.

Setup:

1. Snapraid
    2. UnionFS
    3. Portainer
    4. Cockpit for VMs.

• go ahead, try it. I currently have OMV 5 fully functional, including Portainer with nextcloud and maria DB docker active. Haven't had any problems at all other than the typical noob configuration issues. But it works perfectly.

Yes, I am using omv 5.2.0-1 (Usul) right now, just did an update, hopefully finger-crossed

No more error will happen...........

Thank you. :)

PS: Finding information about getting something to working, is really hard in omv forum.
    The documentation is somewhat helpful. But not really not suitable for the usual layman to
    understand the full technical stuff in running a NAS.

• Most of the issues I've seen with OMV5, so far,,, are with OMV5 users... :D (Wait,, did I say that out loud..??) Apologies... :)

Granted, I tested pretty extensively in vbox before installing... But I've had very few problems. Only real problem I have had, is getting nextcloud to work with a domain I purchased. This is strictly a PEBKAC issue though. I gave up on it for now and just went back to using it via duckdns, which works fine.

Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

• Most of the issues I've seen with OMV5, so far,,, are with OMV5 users... :D (Wait,, did I say that out loud..??) Apologies... :)

Ya ya, I heard you loud and clear........ I know, I am noob when it comes to OMV. :/

Try my best to learn about OMV, I watched some video from Techno Dad Life,

although it was helpful, but never really fully understand why I cannot do this and that......

• Ya ya, I heard you loud and clear........ I know, I am noob when it comes to OMV. :/
    Try my best to learn about OMV, I watched some video from Techno Dad Life,

although it was helpful, but never really fully understand why I cannot do this and that......

Just having a bit of fun - it's all good. :) That's what the forum is for. I think you'll find that it's friendly.

At least you reposted on your other thread, that the issue was closed. Some users just leave threads open or, when they get the info/response they need, never bother to comment on whether (or not) the issue is fixed.

• Just having a bit of fun - it's all good. :) That's what the forum is for. I think you'll find that it's friendly.
    At least you reposted on your other thread, that the issue was closed. Some users just leave threads open or, when they get the info/response they need, never bother to comment on whether (or not) the issue is fixed.

Thank you. :thumbsup:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!