Hello, after Guide: How-to setup 'hd-idle' (a HDD spin down SW) together with the OMV plugin 'Autoshutdown'. I was now doing the same for OMV 5.x.
The following guide is not 100 % "clean" i.e. there is some random behavior of 'hd-idle'. In the meanwhile this was solved:
Hint: For comments on that 'how to' guide please use this thread.
P.S. If you can help to improve this guide then please do it (thank you macom). If you like this guide then please show it.
*** Install 'OMV-Extras' (via web GUI) ***
'OMV -> System -> Plugins -> Section: Utilities -> openmediavault-omvextras.org 5.x.x'
** Enable 'OMV-Extras' backports (via web GUI) **
'OMV -> System -> OMV-Extra -> Settings -> Backports -> Enable Backports'
*** Install 'hd-idle' in OMV (via command prompt) ***
apt install hd-idle
** 'hd-idle' setup **
* a) disable all HDD spin-down and power management settings in OMV (via web GUI) *
'OMV -> Storage -> Physical Disks'
* b) open the 'hd-idle' configuration file via the 'nano' editor (via command prompt) *
* b.1) insert for each HDD (accessed via their UUIDs, see 1)) a spin-down command '-a /dev/<...> -i <timeInSeconds>', e.g. spin-down of 3 HDDs after approx. 600 seconds: *
HD_IDLE_OPTS="-i 0 -a /dev/disk/by-uuid/bacb10a1-6dc5-48b9-a6f4-ed836b7dfa4a -i 600 -a /dev/disk/by-uuid/481b459f-aad7-468e-b0fe-9401c94eb4fc -i 610 -a /dev/disk/by-uuid/3b5e7398-d517-4477-a3b9-aa46c4347184 -i 620"
* hint: Parameter '-i 0' at the beginning avoids spin-down of not explicitly specified HDDs. *
* b.2) allow hd-idle to start, insert a 2nd row with command *
* b.3) save the file (Ctrl + O) and close 'nano' (Ctrl + X) *
* c) auto-start via OMV the 'hd-idle' service / daemon (via web GUI) *
'OMV -> System -> Scheduled Jobs' * hint: use options 'At reboot', user 'root' and command 'service hd-idle start' *
This is not required, see.
* d) Do also this --if-- the OMV plug in 'Autoshutdown' is in use, otherwise 'hd-idle' will stop working after the 1st wakeup. *
link to sourceforge.net
* hint: The command systemctl enable hd-idle-restart-resume.service has to be only once executed at the command line. A scheduled job is not required. *
* e) reboot OMV, now it should work *
* f) Check that 'hd-idle' is running (via web GUI) *
'OMV -> Diagnostics -> System Information -> Processes'
* in column 'TIME+ COMMAND' should be somewhere such an entry: *
+++ 1) get the HDD UUIDs (via web GUI) +++
'OMV -> Diagnostics -> System Information -> Report -> Block device attributes'