Guide: How-to setup 'hd-idle' (a HDD spin down SW) together with the OMV plugin 'Autoshutdown' in OMV 5.x.

• Hi, Sorry to ask a dumb question but do SSD's need to be spun down?

Normally if its in red it's bad!!!

Machine 1 - Dell OptiPlex 790 - Core i5-2400 3.10GHz - 16GB RAM - OMV5

Machine 2 - Raspberry PI4 - ARMv7 - 2GB - OMV5

• And how can I track down that service?

It can be challenging and you'll need third party tools.

How many disks do you have and where OMV is installed? What apps/docker/plugins have you installed?

Note this is out of scope of the thread/guide.

Hi, Sorry to ask a dumb question but do SSD's need to be spun down?

No, they don't and simply don't have such feature, so don't worry about them.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 5.x + omvextrasorg

Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 8GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker), 3x4TB HDD (Data) - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

• Thanks for the reply. After I get a few more things in place I am going to give it a try. Greatly appreciate you putting together the guide - great help!

• I have OMV 5.6.1 and trying to get hd-idle to spin down after 1800sec the service is up and running and was just updated to 1.13 What happens the disk idle for 540 seconds then resets to 0 something writes or reads every 540 seconds on all the disks.

• Thanks a lot for this nice utility to spin down my hard drives reliably. I have a usbrelay module to control the fans and would like to turn off the fan when hard drives spin down and turn it back on when they resume normal operation. I'd like to know if this can be done in "hd-idle". Thanks.

• Thanks a lot for this nice utility to spin down my hard drives reliably. I have a usbrelay module to control the fans and would like to turn off the fan when hard drives spin down and turn it back on when they resume normal operation. I'd like to know if this can be done in "hd-idle". Thanks.

I don't think hd-idle can handle this.

Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 8GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker), 3x4TB HDD (Data) - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

• Maybe I should have explained it in a better way. The relay on usbrelay module can be easily controlled through a simple command:

usbrelay BITFT_1=1 // turn on relay

usbrelay BITFT_1=0 // turn off relay

hd-idle knows exactly when hard drive spins up or down. All I need is to execute the command "usbrelay BITFT_1=0" after spin down and the command "usbrelay BITFT_1=1" after spin up.

• I guessed your module could be controlled in such way, but hd-idle does not provide scripting functionality.

Ask the current manatainer here.

• Has anybody implemented a solution to show hd-idle logs in the web-ui?

Or can someone tell me whether this guide is still valid?

With the current version, logs are displayed in Syslog.

I tried following the guide, but I can't get it to work as there are too many parameters to be configured.
    Let me know if you manage do to it!

• I tried following the guide, but I can't get it to work

Would you want to share your attempt i.e in a github repository or as zip-Archive here?

We could then try to get it working together

omv 5.6.21-1 (usul) on RPi4/4GB with Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 6TB HDD formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Would you want to share your attempt i.e in a github repository or as zip-Archive here?

We could then try to get it working together

I already deleted my attempt, I'm sure there were too many mistakes.

• Hi tekgator.

Can I deploy your container when I have already configured and working hd-idle in my setup under CLI ? Should it be removed first? How?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!