BTRFS vs ZFS vs ext4, OMV stable version

• Hello guys,

Coming from this discussion https://forum.openmediavault.o…?postID=224269#post224269 in which I was asking some questions about the file system to use.
    But wanted to ask in here what do you think about it.
    Just to recap:

I am trying to build my NAS and save all my media correctly inside of it. I was planning to use 4x12TB drives, without parity drive, but with offsite backup. I was trying to search for a filesystem that could protect me against bitrot, with data integrity protection.
    I first thought about ext4, with snapraid and mergerfs, but it seems that snapraid scrub, will only work if I have a parity disk (which I don't).
    The other alternative that I saw was using something like https://github.com/ambv/bitrot
    And the last thing I found was about BTRFS, but I see people a year or 2 ago, was saying it was pretty new, and not that stable.
    So wanted to ask in here, what do you think about BTRFS and new OMV version (is version 5 still in beta?), or if I need to stay with OMV version 4. Will this protect me for bitrot, and give me the good options of mergerfs as adding/removing disks as I want? Also, will I be able to only copy files into a disk? meaning that only 1 disk will be in use when ready a file and not the 4 of them.

Please let me know.

Kind regards

• Hello,

I already know about how ZFS works, as I come from freenas, and I think that doesn't meet my needs. Can you please explain me, why ZFS would be a good solution for the infrastructure I am searching?

Kind regards

• Offizieller Beitrag

zfs or btrfs or ext4
    and
    OMV4 or OMV5

are two different decisions you have to make. Neither of the filesystems is better supported by OMV4 or OMV5.
    For btrfs you have to do most from CLI. For zfs there is a plugin. But that is the case for both OMV versions.

Regarding stability of btrfs you can search the internet, e.g. https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Status
    There is no influence of the fact that you want to use OMV with it.

• Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I was currently asking about OMV4 or OMV5, as I see that OMV5 was on beta, though I do not really know, if it went already out as stable, or it continues in beta.

Regarding btrfs, I asked as it seems it is the only filesystem, that will let me add or remove disks into my pool, without many issues, and at the same time, load balancing my data through my 4 disks, not like RAID.

Will search how to add btrfs into OMV, though if I remember correctly, there was an option in the gui, maybe as you say, just to format the disks, and then the rest needs to be done through CLI, which is a real pain to be honest.

Kind regards

• Hello,

I already know about how ZFS works, as I come from freenas, and I think that doesn't meet my needs. Can you please explain me, why ZFS would be a good solution for the infrastructure I am searching?

Kind regards

No parity = no bitrot protection. Period.
    If you just want bitrot detection, and don't want to spend a disk on parity, then ZFS is IMHO the only way to go. Plus, you have used it before, and so you should have some kind of knowledge on its usage.
    ZFS will detect bitrot, but it won't be able to correct it as it won't have parity data.

If you plan to do offsite backup (you don't specify details on this), I'd go for another zfs pool, and do zfs send | zfs recv (or better still, use sanoid/syncoid)

OMV 4.1 on Debian 10 @ HP Microserver gen8 [2x 256GB SSD ZFS mirror on root + 3x 8TB ZFS raidz1 pool]

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!