Need some help: ZFS support

• Hi All,

I would like to use OMV with a ZFS storage array. As has been mentioned (many times) before, OMV will not have official ZFS support, so the recommendation was to write a plugin to support it. So I've started looking into doing that. However I don't see how this can be done.

Setting up ZFS on the command line is trivial enough that I would leave that part for later. What's not trivial is adding ZFS filesystems to the rest of the system, to allow for setting up sharing etc. Looking at the code it seems that for the FSs to be recognized I need to extend OMVFilesystem, OMVFilesystems and OMVRpcServiceFileSystemMgmt (and probably a lot of other pieces). However, none of these seem to allow any kind of extensibility, i don't see any way to add anything to them except for adding code to the methods. I could extend the classes to include ZFS support (once I understand classes in PHP ;), even though I'm not sure if that would really work as most of the methods in question are static. But even if that worked, I don't see how I would make the system use my extended classes instead of the original ones.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

• Hi Spinmeister,

work on a ZFS Plugin has already started. (Volker also added some functions to improve the filesystem handling.) I'll let you invite to the plugin-development forum. ;)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Hi,

What's the situation with this? From reading around it seems that OMV on Wheezy isn't supported yet and that if I use ZFS volumes they aren't supported in the UI because they lack ID's?
    Before I invest time and effort in getting it working, I just want to make sure there's not an easier way.

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

A user named miras was originally going to create the plugin. Last time I PMd him, he was very busy. I'll have you added to the developer forum and you read the topic about it. As far as I know, the necessary changes have been made to OMV.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "dwmurphy2"

Can I get access to the dev forum as well? I've been using ZFS with OMV since day one, and I would love to contribute to a plugin for managing it.

I Just sent Volker a PM to add you :)

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• This is great news, i will looking forward for this plugin, have not looked at or upgraded OMV in a while, still running 0.4 (it just runs ;) ) the possibility to run ZFS would make me upgrade immediately !!!
    I guess this will come available when we go to 0.6

• Not yet. Probably not before public OpenMediaVault Kralizec release.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Everyone interesting are welcome to join the development. I have my one git repository which is open to everyone, for read that is:-), and can be found here:
    http://git.datanom.net/gitweb/?p=omvzfs.git;a=summary

I have done some preliminary tests and the real development will begin now. At the moment I have a stable class diagram (missing the final representation of NFS and SMB in Dataset class. Also miss the interface implementing the iSCSI, NFS and SMB hooks (I have forgotten the names;-)), the final BNF, and template class files (not pushed yet but will be later today).

• I'd be very interested in helping out where possible. I've been playing around with the plugin framework a little already to get familiar with the JavaScript/PHP/RPC functionality when doing a very simple plugin that lists zfs pools and their statuses. It's been a while since I last did some programming in PHP, but hopefully I could contribute with some of the simpler tasks... Please let me know if you would like to share your repository.

//Niclas

• Offizieller Beitrag

His git repo is in the link on the previous post. miras is going to create the backend and I am going to create the frontend. Any help you want to offer is appreciated :) I will add you to the plugin developer forum as well. Code for other OMV plugins is here.

• Zitat von "miras"

Everyone interesting are welcome to join the development. I have my one git repository which is open to everyone, for read that is:-), and can be found here:
    http://git.datanom.net/gitweb/?p=omvzfs.git;a=summary

I have done some preliminary tests and the real development will begin now. At the moment I have a stable class diagram (missing the final representation of NFS and SMB in Dataset class. Also miss the interface implementing the iSCSI, NFS and SMB hooks (I have forgotten the names;-)), the final BNF, and template class files (not pushed yet but will be later today).

Very interesting. Will this plugin work with OMV 0.5 or do we have to wait for OMV 0.6 (Debian Wheezy?)

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "FREAKJAM"

Very interesting. Will this plugin work with OMV 0.5 or do we have to wait for OMV 0.6 (Debian Wheezy?)

You will have to wait for omv 0.6/wheezy. The plugin may not be done until 0.6 is released anyway.

• The Plugin is not yet ready, and there is no testing version of it either.

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!