Use case RAID5 on LVM mixed HD sizes

• If its only a speed hit then I'm OK with that. With 4 drives the math just works. All the rack mount cases use 4 disks per row. Each row a raid 5 or 2 rows for a raid 10 setup.

• I'll summarize it up for you later or tomorrow! (in english)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• So. Translation done...

Source is still the german wikipedia article for RAID.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• I can live with that. It seems that a 2048 KB file system is much better than 512 KB file system. Like I said before 5 disks the math does not work and harder to keep track of which disks are in which array. A 4 disk system each row has an array. I do mostly read cause its a storage has. I'm sticking with 4 disks arrays and LVM management. I'm not to worried about write performance but I'm sure a 5 disk array would be faster than a 4 disk array. Someone else had told me this a long time ago he had said that the 9 disk array was fastest of them all.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I really never noticed any speed increase or decrease when I took my array from 5 to 6 to 7 to 8 drives. Probably because most of what I do is network transfers and it has never had a problem maxing out gigabit.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Well... I can only tell that my 5 disks RAID5 (and I build it before I knew of this best/worst case scenarios) is running with so much speed, that I guess that only the 9 disk array could top that speed, but even with 5 drives, the SATAII lanes are nearly maxed out. Don't know how much speed the controller can saturate through the PCI-E lane or if it is limited @600MB/s like SATAII is...

Greetings
    David

• In reality I only need 200 megs per second anything more than that is gravy. I am planning on bonding 2 gigabit NICs hence the need for 200 megs. I would use 5 disks but 4 disk arrays are just much easier to use when using rack mount cases. So if I get 500 megs with the hardware raid per array I'm happy more than enough I will ever need. That box would easy handle about 8 users cause that is the max I'll ever have at the same time.

• Edit/Update: Nevermind what I posted in my previous post... SATAII is limited @300MB/s, so I'm already above that.

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!