raid size and hard drives

• hello and question I am running omv5 , I set up raid to play 2x 2TB drives + 1 1TB drive , when I set up raid I got total of @ 1.8 TB usable space , So i added a 4 tb drive total 4 drives for raid 5 , and after reshaping I get a total of 2.73 does not seen correct the total from all drives 2x2 +1+4 =@9 TB

please advise

• Offizieller Beitrag

I set up raid to play 2x 2TB drives + 1 1TB drive , when I set up raid I got total of @ 1.8 TB usable space , So i added a 4 tb drive total 4 drives for raid 5 , and after reshaping I get a total of 2.73 does not seen correct

You probably don't need raid if you are using a bunch of different sized disks. Look at unionfilesystems/mergerfsfolders to pool your disks.

That said, the reason you only see that total is that mdadm raid (which is what OMV's raid tab uses) will only use the space on each drive equal to the smallest drive in the array.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• ok ty

question

1) what is the best sequence to use to undo the raid
    2) you would use OMV merge FS folds plug in app or something else
    3) under merge folder if you have disk failure all info is lost correct

• Offizieller Beitrag

what is the best sequence to use to undo the raid

Delete the array in the raid tab
    wipe each disk in the physical disks tab
    create a filesystem on each disk in the Filesystems tab

you would use OMV merge FS folds plug in app or something else

openmediavault-unionfilesystems or openmediavault-mergerfsfolders. They both use mergerfs. unionfilesystems is just a bit easier and pools the entire disk.

under merge folder if you have disk failure all info is lost correct

Only the data on the disk that fails. If you need redundancy, use snapraid. It is popular to use it with mergerfs. You should also have backups since raid or snapraid is not backup.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• hello again so when i went to delete raid system would not let me , it only gave me option to remove from raid I was able to remove the 4tb drive from raid now status says raid 5 degraded but I am unable to completely remove the rest of the drives from the raid please advise how to undo raid 5

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did the array have a mounted filesystem on it?

• OMV 5 under file system does hoave mount and unmount but when I high light the raid I am unable to mount or unmount only thing I can do is resize which when I hit says need to remove raid first and under raid only 2 options are recovery which does nothing or details wich says there are 3 disks in raid please advise

• Offizieller Beitrag

You should be looking for the filesystem in the filesystem tab. Delete it if it is listed before you do anything in the raid tab.

• hello any one under file system i am unable to unmount to delete the file system ,
    under raid I am only able to remove , but can only remove 1 disk from raid please advise

I am ok loosed all data should I just wipe all disks will that remove raid ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is a mess. You will need to remove the filesystem by removing the mntent entry in /etc/openmediavault/config.xml. I would also remove the entry in /etc/fstab and reboot. Then you should be able to wipe the disks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

ty can you provide the steps need to do all this please

I did. Unfortunately, I can't give you exact commands because I would have to be logged in (no, I don't have time to do that). You might be better to reinstall and wipe the disks first thing.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Usually you can figure out how to remove or disable stuff, in OMV, by using a little bit of common sense and logic.

If you added/enabled/installed A, B, C and D, you often need the reverse order to revert. First delete/disable/uninstall D then C, B and finally A.

If you are playing around and experimenting, clone the installation before starting. Then you can restore the configuration if you mess things up. Or just reinstall from scratch and wipe.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!