OMV 5 no network connection after reboot

• I've recently setup a new OMV5 installation to replace my OMV3 server that's been running now for several years. However, I am having trouble setting the IP address. I set a static address of 192.168.1.85 using the GUI, but after a reboot, there is no network connection. I have to login to the console and use omv-firstaid to reset the network connection. The system will be fine then up until a reboot.

I've checked /etc/sytemd/network folder for the adapter entry, it looks correct:

results of ip addr after reboot:

results of ip addr after omv-firstaid:

As you can see, eno1 ip address is not set until after running omv-firsaid. Can anyone give me suggestions on what else to check?

Thanks,

Pete

• Some more Diagnostics today:

There are two network adapters on the MOBO. I tried the other one, with the same results, no network connection after reboot.

After a reboot, running "systemctl status systemd-networkd" command results in the following output:

After running omv-firstaid and setting a static ip address to 192.168.1.85, output is:

Question is, why is it failing at startup but runs after using omv-firstaid?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Pete

• Same thing here, after every huge update (like new kernel), OMV 5 lost network (no more interface available) and can only be set up back using omv-firstaid.

Any idea?

WebUI got good network configuration.

No exotic hardware.

Maybe it is related to docker install but no sure.

• I didn´t solve this issue at my setup. sometimes wifi works sometimes not and this is not due to my router setup. As I don´t have mood at the moment to dive into linux stuff I chose the ethernet connection which works great out of the box... but wifi is the issue so far

• I am still facing this issue and for me it is link to dhcpcd and docker.

But unable to find root cause and to confirm, two majors impacts are:

• omv lost network after any kernel or docker update and a reboot. Only omv-firsaid can solve it, sad for a headless server.
    • docker locates network configuration into containers in default bridge mode. It generates docker internal DNS issue.

FYI docker issue 488

Any idea on it? don't wanna run a new OMV5 full install with all configuration

Config : OMV5 running headless on J5005 motherboard, dual HDD as storage and SDD with BOOT, OS and DATA partitions
    + behind router with static NAT/IP and duckdns/NO-IP

+ docker and portainer installed from OMV plugin with multiple docker compose stacks (bazarr, duckdns, duplicati, glances, heimdall, jackett, letsencrypt, ombi, openvpnas, plex, pyload, radarr, rdesktop, sonarr, tautulli, ..)

• Did someone find any workaround?

In my case on clean OMV 5 network works perfect, no problems.

As soon as Docker and Portainer is installed, on first reboot it looses all network settings.

With omv-firstaid it is possible to put it back only when LAN cable is disconnected.

Is there any way to hard code IP address to system / docker / anything?

Portainer is used for torrents and Plex.

• Hi

I don't know if it can help: beginning of OMV5, netplan is used. The gui is creating files in /etc/netplan. These files are loaded into

systemd-networkd.

omv-firstaid is a textual manner to create new files in /etc/netplan. I don't know how docker is handling the network creating, but no doubt it creates an own network.

Have look in netplan and try these commands to check and revert a netplan, generate the resulting set of the network and apply the new config. The last command reloads the netplan into the network.

Code
    netplan --debug try
    netplan --debug generate
    netplan apply
    systemctl restart networking

Finally I can tell the neplan files are executed from a till z. The last config overwrites the first one. You may safely add a file to the end: e.g. 60.yaml.

• I ran into this issue also because I want to use both my on board (enp1s0) and pcie (ens6) ethernet adapters.

This is what worked for me:

1. Use omv-firstaid to setup static ip on enp1s0 - 192.168.1.x

2. This created /etc/netplan/20-openmediavault-enp1s0.yaml

3. Create new yaml file for ens6 cp /etc/netplan/20-openmediavault-enp1s0.yaml to /etc/netplan/30-openmediavault-ens6.yaml

4. Edit /etc/netplan/30-openmediavault-ens6.yaml for it's ip address

Code
    network:
    ethernets:
    ens6:
    match:
    macaddress: bb:bb:bb:bb:bb:bb
    addresses:
    - 10.0.10.y/24
    dhcp4: false
    dhcp6: false
    link-local: []

5. netplan generate

6. netplan apply

7. Reboot for good measure :)

This seems to function for me on my OMV5. Only the 1st adapter shows up in System / Network but both appear in Diagnostics (Network Interfaces). Also only the first (enp1s0) appears in the Diagnostics / System Information / Performance Statistics / Network Interfaces graphs.

I'd really like to know how to fix those annoyances, but at least both adapters are function

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!