UnionFS VS MergerFS

• They are one and the same.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

RAID - Its ability to disappoint is inversely proportional to the user's understanding of it.

OMV 5.x on ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0 Stepping - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380 + Silverstone DS380 DAS Box.

• Can someone give me a simple TL;DR on the differences and benefits of each?

Did you read the description? They both obviously use mergerfs but mergerfsfolders pools folders while unionfilesystems pools drives. I created a new plugin for mergerfsfolders because I didn't like a lot of the legacy code involved with unionfilesystems. I would like to get rid of the unionfilesystems plugin but it is much easier for noobs. So, I didn't

omv 5.3.9 usul | 64 bit | 5.3 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.2.6
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Did you read the description? They both obviously use mergerfs but mergerfsfolders pools folders while unionfilesystems pools drives. I created a new plugin for mergerfsfolders because I didn't like a lot of the legacy code involved with unionfilesystems. I would like to get rid of the unionfilesystems plugin but it is much easier for noobs. So, I didn't

Sorry, i was running on 4 hours of sleep last night.
    Thanks for the reply.

MergerFS = Pool of Folders
    UnionFS = Pool of HDD's

And pleeeeease don't get rid of UnionFS. It works perfect for what i'm doing. And i am an extreme noob! So it works :)

• And pleeeeease don't get rid of UnionFS. It works perfect for what i'm doing. And i am an extreme noob! So it works

The folders would work too. Insert of pooling disks D1, D2 in a pool, you would add the folders /srv/dev-disk-by-label-d1 and /srv/dev-disk-by-label-d2 (or maybe just /srv/dev-disk-by-label-d*).

omv 5.3.9 usul | 64 bit | 5.3 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.2.6
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• As i read more, and watch more youtube videos about MergerFS, it doesn't seem all that hard to learn.

But of course i screwed myself by using the default UnionFS profile (Existing Path, Most Free Space) instead of using (Most Free Space).
    So now all my Movies are going to 1 HDD, and all my TV Shows are going to the other HDD.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!