First NAS build with SAS HDDs

• Hi together,

I'm quite new to the OMV community here but I determined that I will build my own NAS with OMV as OS on it.
    What I planned to build the NAS with is:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G
    MB: ASRock B450M Pro4
    RAM: 8GB DDR4-2400 G.Skill Value
    OS SSD: HP EX900 M2 NVMe 128GB
    PSU: 300 Watts beQuiet! Pure Power 11
    Case: beQuiet! Pure Base 600

Now what's missing, as you already noticed, are the HDDs.

I have the possibility to get two 6TB WD UltraStar SAS 12 GB/s HDDs for free.
    But then I need a SAS HBA. I already read that this isn't an issue due to OMV is based on Debian and several Broadcom chips can be used for that.
    I also read that the "Dell Perc H310" will also work for OMV to make the SAS HDDs available. That would be nice because I saw that I can get these cards for around 50€ used on the known platforms here in germany.
    But is it necessary to flash another firmware on the SAS HBA to use it with OMV?
    Are there any How To's that I can follow to avoid making issues?

Or are there any documents about SAS and OMV that I can use to read through and get my open questions answered?
    Do you recommend to get these two disks and build my first NAS based on SAS HDDs or do you say that I should just buy the usual WD RED HDDs and build it as usual.
    Thanks already!

Kind Regards :)

• But is it necessary to flash another firmware on the SAS HBA to use it with OMV?

It is recommended to flash the so-called "IT-mode" firmware, which disables the Hardware RAID functionality (as I know) and allows the OS an direct access to each disk.

I have the possibility to get two 6TB WD UltraStar SAS 12 GB/s HDDs for free.

If the disks are for free then I would take it :D

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!