Sharedfolders

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm really tired of this feature. It makes more troubles than it helps.

Apologies, I pulled this from another thread, but I have to agree, I can understand it's use but if it's more trouble than it's worth why not remove the feature? Just because it's easier to see a folder content using /sharefolders rather than /srv/dev-disk-by-label-xxx seems a small price to pay for what is a feature.

• Offizieller Beitrag

+1 I have to agree. I would remove the feature in OMV 5.x. The symlink plugin can create symlinks that won't have this issue if people really want a short path and needs something that works from the web interface.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

We can disable it by default, but i want to keep the code, maybe we will find a fix someday.

Works for me.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• maybe i'm wrong or didn't see something out .. but aren't shared Folders needed for all the other stuff like FTP, SMB and so on?

if i try to set a smb i only can use what i set as shared folder befor?

• yeah in cli, but i mean on the web UI - or you just plan to remove it from cli? just for cli i'm also fine with symlinks - but web UI it looks (for me) we need to set smb, ftp, and other services? so you are the boss, tell me if wrong ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

yeah in cli, but i mean on the web UI - or you just plan to remove it from cli? just for cli i'm also fine with symlinks - but web UI it looks (for me) we need to set smb, ftp, and other services? so you are the boss, tell me if wrong

Shared folders in the web interface are not going anywhere. They are core to the OMV design. The bind mount to /sharedfolders to make a path that easier to remember is what we were talking about. The only place they are used is the command line.

• We can disable it by default

My 2 cents

I use OMV for about a year, so let me explain my evolution and why I think disbling /sharedfolders is not good idea.

• Start with turorials how to install and configure OMV. Every single tutorial I read/seen use /sharedfolders as path.
    • Have a hard time understanding what is wrong in my docker-compose file, until @macom kindly explain /srv/dev-long-name-thing

Now I'm using /srv/dev-long-name-thing, and at first sight /sharedfolders are useless,
    BUT if you disable them by default, for absolute noobs like me all older tutorial will instantly become obsolete/confusing. Ant, IMHO it is a big and important argument against disabling them by default. Maybe just implement option "disable /sharedfolders symlink"?

Cheers

= Fujitsu PRIMERGY TX1310 M3 • 2 x HDD 3.5" 4TB Western Digital Red • Windows Server 2019 • Hyper-V • OMV 5.x =

• Shared folders in the web interface are not going anywhere. They are core to the OMV design. The bind mount to /sharedfolders to make a path that easier to remember is what we were talking about. The only place they are used is the command line.

ahh ok, yeah - so i'm with you, for all other thinks i'm fine with symlinks ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

My 2 cents
    I use OMV for about a year, so let me explain my evolution and why I think disbling /sharedfolders is not good idea.

• Start with turorials how to install and configure OMV. Every single tutorial I read/seen use /sharedfolders as path.
    • Have a hard time understanding what is wrong in my docker-compose file, until @macom kindly explain /srv/dev-long-name-thing

Now I'm using /srv/dev-long-name-thing, and at first sight /sharedfolders are useless,
    BUT if you disable them by default, for absolute noobs like me all older tutorial will instantly become obsolete/confusing. Ant, IMHO it is a big and important argument against disabling them by default. Maybe just implement option "disable /sharedfolders symlink"?

Cheers

The only thing what happens is that OMV_SHAREDFOLDERS_DIR_ENABLED will be set to No in /etc/default/openmediavault for new installations. Users that never used that will not miss it, and users that already use it are not affected. Everyone else can customize it easily to their needs.

• FYI, I just upgraded from an older version of 5.3.x (sorry but don't remember exact version) using apt upgrade and OMV_SHAREDFOLDERS_DIR_ENABLED was set to "NO". Just wanted to post this because my experience seems to contradict your post about not affecting existing users/installations.

• Offizieller Beitrag

FYI, I just upgraded from an older version of 5.3.x (sorry but don't remember exact version) using apt upgrade and OMV_SHAREDFOLDERS_DIR_ENABLED was set to "NO". Just wanted to post this because my experience seems to contradict your post about not affecting existing users/installations.

Yes, that's right in some cases due to an APT behaviour. If the /etc/default/openmediavault file is not modified by hand, then it gets replaced by APT during a package update.

• I'm really confused. How are we suppose to utilize SMB/CIFS and NFS with Sharedfolders disabled? And what trouble does leaving that feature enabled create? I read that it slows down the "apply changes" part, anything else?

• I'm really confused. How are we suppose to utilize SMB/CIFS and NFS with Sharedfolders disabled? And what trouble does leaving that feature enabled create? I read that it slows down the "apply changes" part, anything else?

Well, the first thing you need to understand is that you are misinformed.

Creating and selecting Shared Folders within the OMV Web GUI is not disabled.

What is disabled is the appearance of the share name as a subdirectory under /Sharedfolders on the rootfs.

Also, attempting to use a /Sharedfolder/sharename as the Docker base path is no longer accepted by the OMV GUI in recent OMV 5.x builds and updates - probably one of the misuses of /Sharedfolders/sharename that caused the most problems.

Not flagged by Portainer as a bad idea, or disallowed by the interface, is using a /Sharedfolder/sharename directory as a Docker Volume or Bind mount, another misuse that has caused many problems. Just don't do this.

Has any of the above cleared it up for you?

As for old tutorials, guides and YouTube videos, I would hope that their authors make some minimum effort to remove inappropriate references to Sharedfolders. Textual guides could probably be easily fixed, but I would not expect any sudden effort to replace what must be a very large number of very lengthy videos.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Sorry gderf, that didn't answer any of my questions at all. Per the changelog:

Zitat

* Disable the '/sharedfolder/<xyz>' feature by default on new installations because it makes too much problems. It can be enabled by setting the environment variable to 'OMV_SHAREDFOLDERS_DIR_ENABLED="YES"'. Finally run the command 'omv-salt stage run prepare' to apply the modified default values and 'omv-salt deploy run systemd' to create the unit files.

If the feature is disabled, what happens when I go into the "Shared Folders" section and create a shared folder? ...currently, without creating a shared folder in the GUI, the NFS option has no "shared folder" to share when I try to add one. The same is true when trying to share a folder via the SMB/CIFS option. Also, what are the problems?

• the sharefolder will work on the web GUI - nothing change here

but in cli / terminal you are nomore able to use /sharefolder/blabla to access them. thats all

in the OMV web GUI you still need the sharefolders and can use it.

• Lets keep the discussion in this thread. I know there are other people who will be confused by this, especially since a lot of people rely on tutorials from TechnoDadLife . Clarifying this for myself will help many other users. I use OMV as simple was to share files on my local network. My understanding is that, in order to do that, you have to mount given data drives, create sharedfolders and add them via NFS or SMB/CIFS in the OMV web GUI. Since I run OMV alongside a desktop environment, I would navigate to /sharedfolders/ and that same path is what is referenced in my docker-compose file. Now with disabling the "/sharefolders/" feature, I'm lost on what I am suppose to do now. Can someone explain exactly what problems "sharedfolders" creates and what method we should use instead? What are Symlinks?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!