Installing OMV5 on Raspberry Pi4 with ZFS

• I want to use OMV5 as a backup/fileserver NAS on a Raspberry PI4 4GB with a 6TB HDD.
    I plan to duplicate this setup externally and sync the 2 NAS systems.
    I've installed OMV5 several times, and had a play with LVM2, but I've decided to use ZFS instead of LVM2 for more versatility and for sending snapshots between the 2 systems.
    I've already managed to compile ZFS on the Pi4 using a 64-bit kernel with 32-bit Raspbian and had a play with that

My problem is in trying to put OMV and ZFS together.
    When I try to enable ZFS in the plugins, it wants to re-install zfs-dkms and this then fails (probably because it really needs a 64-bit userland to build zfs properly...?)

Has anyone had any experience with this?
    Is it possible to install the zfs plugin without re-installing the zfs kernel modules.
    Or should I be looking at another 64-bit OS like Ubuntu? I already tried debian64, but I didn't get ZFS installed on it properly.

• I think it is not possible to use the OMV ZFS plugin with 32 bit systems. It only supports amd64.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• I think it is not possible to use the OMV ZFS plugin with 32 bit systems. It only supports amd64.

Certainly I can't use the part of the plugin that attempts to build zfs-dkms, but the plugin itself is just php so that part should work shouldn't it, given I have a working zfs installation already? Maybe I have to deconstruct the openmediavault-zfs.deb file?

No, but this might be of help and could be worth your while testing prior to an OMV install

I actually followed this tutorial to build zfs 0.8.3 on that 64-bit kernel by way of a debian64 nspawn thingy(?) then installed OMV. But when I try to install the zfs plugin it wants to build zfs-dkms and stomp all over my previous zfs installation.

• Offizieller Beitrag

But when I try to install the zfs plugin it wants to build zfs-dkms and stomp all over my previous zfs installation.

Even to someone like me who doesn't use ZFS that would make sense, the obvious path would be set up the 64 bit kernel on the Pi, then install OMV, then the ZFS plugin, but I'm sure I have read on the forum the advice is to use the Proxmox kernel for zfs use, could be wrong though.

• I read that too somewhere, but isn't that only relevant to the amd64 environment? Does it relate to the Raspberry Pi as well?

I'm currently looking at the zfs plugin source and it looks like the only link to building zfs is a deb dependency on zfs-dkms, zfsutils & zfs-zed. I reckon if I can remove those, I might be able to install the plugin by itself and use my existing zfs build.
    Guess I'm going to have to learn how to make debs because I've never done that before. Can't be too hard...can it? Let's see...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I read that too somewhere, but isn't that only relevant to the amd64 environment?

I think so ?( but you've already tried one way and it didn't work and you appear to understand this more than I do, but if this was me experimentation would be the answer, you never know something might just fall into place :)

• I reckon if I can remove those, I might be able to install the plugin by itself and use my existing zfs build.

The ZFS plugin is currently not or hardly maintained. You obviously know. Could you image taking care of the maintenance in the future? :D:D
    The community would be grateful to you for that.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you're going to experiment, maybe install the ZFS plugin first, then install your 32bit ZFS implementation over top of that.
    Who knows,, it might integrate. It wouldn't hurt to give it a go.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you enable backports, you will get the debian backports repo that has the needed packages in it. Even though these packages are in the regular Debian Buster repo, raspbian is not building these packages. No need to modify the plugin. Although I wouldn't use zfs on an RPi. The only reason I started building these arm packages was for arm boards with real SATA ports.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I enabled the backports repo under OMV-extras and then tried to install the zfs plugin again.
    Unfortunately it didn't make any difference and still failed to build zfs-dkms package (probably because I am running a split 64/32 bit system).

I then downloaded the current source for the openmediavault-zfs deb (5.0.4) and managed to build it on my Pi for armhf.
    So I then removed the offending zfs-dkms and zfs-utils dependencies and rebuilt the deb.
    I installed this manually using dpkg. (maybe I could have done the same using dpkg --exclude-package, but it didn't work last time, but maybe that was because it was v3)

Anyway, it seems I have managed to get the plugin loaded and so far it looks like it's working with my prebuilt zfs modules!
    Now I've got to try and set up my NAS properly and see how this tests out.
    Thanks for all the pointers.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!