Installing LSI MegaRaid Storage Manager on OMV 5.3.4 (Debian 10)

• Howdy, I thought I would document this for posterity...

I have an old LSI (later Avago, now Broadcom) MegaRAID 9260-4i SAS controller in my system. There are a few ways to manage it and configure disks and arrays and such. The most straightforward is to boot into it's BIOS. But on Windows there is the MegaRAID storage manager (MSM) which is a much prettier graphical client, but it only easy to set up if the server is running Windows. But it is [i]also possible for a MSM client to manage cards on other server machines. LSI/Avago/Broadcom made a Linux version of MSM, but it only released RPMs for Red Hat and Suse.

There was mention of making them work in an older thread by converting the RPMs, and it was generally regarded as a sketchy idea, but I wanted to give it a shot anyway.

There are walkthroughs floating around the web, but many are old, and all seem to have different approaches . This one (in German) got me pointed in the right direction.

These are the steps that worked for me on a fresh install of OMV 5.3.4 (Debian 10)

Download two files from Broadcom's site, here's the page for the 9260-4i specifically: https://www.broadcom.com/suppo…D+SAS+9260-4i&pa=&po=&dk=

You'll want to go to the "Management Software and Tools" and get these two files:

• 1.23.02_StorCLI.zip
    • 17.05.00.02_Linux-64_MSM.gz

Note that if you're operating Linux command line only, this is the first hurdle, since the download links require clicking on a disclaimer. I used the browser's debug tools to get direct links for wget:

(probably everything needs to be done as root user or with sudo)

next I had to install some prerequisite packages

Code
    apt install unzip
    install alien

here were the steps to extract and convert and install the command line tool storcli (and create a link because the install location was annoying)

Code
    unzip 1.23.02_StorCLI.zip
    unzip storcli_All_OS.zip
    cd storcli_All_OS/Linux
    alien --scripts storcli-1.23.02-1.noarch.rpm 
    dpkg --install storcli_1.23.02-2_all.deb
    ln -s /opt/MegaRAID/storcli/storcli64 /usr/local/sbin/storcli

to do a trivial test enter "storcli show". You should get a listing of your adapters

next up is to exract and convert and install MSM, set it to type "d" (which is "server" mode) so it doesn't try to install a local graphical client:

also, the actual service that runs is called vivaldiframeworkd... for reasons I can't fully appreciate.

EDIT: THESE STEPS HAVE CHANGES IN A MAY 2020 RELEASE, SEE POST #10 below

Code
    tar xvf 17.05.00.02_Linux-64_MSM.gz
    cd disk
    alien --scripts MegaRAID_Storage_Manager-17.05.00-02.noarch.rpm
    export setuptype="d"
    export upgradesetuptype="n"
    dpkg --install megaraid-storage-manager_17.05.00-3_all.deb
    systemctl enable vivaldiframeworkd.service
    service vivaldiframeworkd start
    service vivaldiframeworkd status

… after I got that set up, I was able to install MSM on a windows PC and configure my raid card on my OMV Linux box (I had to enter the IP address of my OMV server)

• Offizieller Beitrag

The hwraid repo has been building these packages for a long time. You can just add the repo and do an apt-get install. I used to maintain a plugin that used this repo.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

does that repo include the stuff needed to use the megaraid storage manager?

Did you look? I assume https://hwraid.le-vert.net/debian/pool-buster/megamgr/ is the manager.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I was about to feel pretty dumb, because I'm a noob and there's nothing on site the hw-raid site that really indicates what megamgr is for.

when I download the .deb and look at it.. it looks like it's for older SCSSI and SATA cards from 2004.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe storage manager isn't in that repo then. I have never used more than megacli.

• okay well that makes me feel a bit validated, thanks for the insight. I realize that the command line tools can probably do everything, but I'm a noob and the GUI of the storage manager really helps visualize just what my options are.

(and not having to reboot to bios is really nice too)

• Offizieller Beitrag

realize that the command line tools can probably do everything, but I'm a noob and the GUI of the storage manager really helps visualize just what my options are.

But you shouldn't have a desktop installed on OMV...

and not having to reboot to bios is really nice too)

Quite sure the command line can do everything the gui can.

• so after a few apt updates of Debian and OMV, the MegaRAID client on windows was hanging and not connecting.

So I needed to download a new version data May 26 2020, ver 17.05.02.01

here was the exact link to the exact file I used

https://docs.broadcom.com/docs/17.05.02.01_MSM_Linux-x64.zip

so the install steps changed slightly for the new version

Code
    unzip 17.05.02.01_MSM_Linux-x64.zip
    tar xvf MSM_linux_x64_installer-17.05.02-01.tar.gz
    cd disk
    alien --scripts MegaRAID_Storage_Manager-17.05.02-01.noarch.rpm
    export setuptype="d"
    export upgradesetuptype="n"
    dpkg --install megaraid-storage-manager_17.05.02-2_all.deb
    systemctl enable vivaldiframeworkd.service
    service vivaldiframeworkd start
    service vivaldiframeworkd status
  • just bumping my thread with two little notes for self documentation.

from broadcom's site I see that the storcli version is now not listing 1.23.02. they have an older version, 1.01.10. there is a megacli version that is newer, and presumably similar but different.

also, with the storcli set up, I can now install the trial software license for advance features like cachecade via command line. And I can automate it with crontab.

depending on your device enumeration and the specific trial key from broadcom's site it would add be like:

Code
    storcli /c0 set aso key=TIKGE5K73QX4EH7U5AT91URDQUNL9NXLVTTER72Z
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I realize that the command line tools can probably do everything, but I'm a noob and the GUI of the storage manager really helps visualize just what my options are.

You have at least two options that will give you a GUI like environment for dealing with files and folders in OMV (or Linux) without installing a desktop.

Midnight Commander

Installing from the command line or by ssh (PuTTY) in a terminal:
    sudo apt-get install mc 
    When it's done type mc

Operations in mc are done left to right.

WinSCP -> download. WinSCP is installed on a Windows Client where it ssh's into OMV by IP address (easiest). This will give you a GUI style look at OMV's file structure and the ability to look at config files.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!