Power saving (disk spin down) with odroid hc, armbian buster and omv 5

• Hello,

I did a fresh install on my odroid hc's with armbian buster (debian 10) and omv 5 on top (using the somewhat 'official' guide provided as pdf ;( ).

I wonder now how I could get the best out of it - power wise (and noise wise).

Their is at least the following 'parts' involved:

I wonder what is the best way to first review what's happening right now (the hd does not always spin) and somehow measure/log the times the hd is on/off and maybe even if their was user access.

Then it would be time to set the spin down settings (for example to 10 min) based on the observations and log again the hd on/off (and smart) states to be sure not to kill the hd due to heavy increased load cycle counts...

Any ideas how to do this? ^^

• Offizieller Beitrag

using the somewhat 'official' guide provided as pdf ).

Is there something wrong with the guide?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Any ideas how to do this?

There are a lot of similar threads here in the forum regarding this topic, also with suggestions how to solve it with a different firmware on the USB2Sata bridge, with hdidle instead of hdparm and so on.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

The guide itself is correct and useful. Just that it is only presented as a pdf file makes an unnecessary overhead and harder to work with than if it would be directly in github or even just presented as a plain website

Ah, you are the one complaining on github. A PDF makes it hard? Download it then. If you are viewing this on a phone, I can't imagine reading a 90 page anything with large screenshots on a phone. Some people aren't comfortable creating a web site and how do you create a responsive web site with large screenshots?? Posting the forum would be hundreds of posts and nightmare to maintain. I have looked at the guide and never had an issue but I'm sure as hell not going to use my phone to read it.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• a different firmware on the USB2Sata bridge

The odroid hc uses a "JMicron JMS578 USB 3.0 to SATA Bridge with UAS" bridge. I use the latest and greatest firmware (v173.1.0.2) provided by hard kernel (see first post for the link).

I also searched the web and the forum but mainly found people having issues with the disk spin down related to firmware issues of the bridge (all should be solved long ago) or fixed spin down timers in the disk firmware. Also it looks to me that the omv web ui settings for the power saving of the disk didn't work right (in the past)?

I wonder what would be a general approach in 2020 using OMV 5. Specially to see what's happening right now in a 'untuned' environment would be very useful. My disk actually is stopped a lot - but sometimes it's just starts without any need (from my point of view) so I would like to log the states to have something useful to work on ;)

hdidle instead of hdparm

Does this interact with the omv web ui? I prefer to have all settings done in one place: favored in omv ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have to be careful. Hope you don't dislike my post.

I do have a HC2 as well. I did not add any entries in OMV regarding power management of the disk. The disk is spinning down after the time I set when flashing the firmware of the USB to sata bridge.

I use the latest and greatest firmware (v173.1.0.2) provided by hard kernel (see first post for the link).

But did you set the spin down time?

I wonder what is the best way to first review what's happening right now (the hd does not always spin) and somehow measure/log the times the hd is on/off and maybe even if their was user access.

https://unix.stackexchange.com…are-writing-to-hard-drive.

Maybe you want to think about your avatar? Looks like it is already used in the forum.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!