Backing up Lan Connected PC's to my NAS?

• I just got OMV 5 installed and all appears to be running stable. I'm now working on my backup configuration for the OS and Shares thanks to a lot of good information on the forum here.

Many years ago I had an HP Home Server, it's long dead and buried now, that I used for several things to include creating nightly incremental backups of 6 PCs on my home network. I'm contemplating doing the same again now that I have OMV 5 running but, I'm not sure of how best to go about that or what app or plugin to use.

Much of what I've read on the forum seems to focus on OS and Share backups. But I'm not finding much, may be my poor searches, about backing up Lan connected devices to my NAS.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Many years ago I had an HP Home Server, it's long dead and buried now, that I used for several things to include creating nightly incremental backups of 6 PCs on my home network. I'm contemplating doing the same again now that I have OMV 5 running but, I'm not sure of how best to go about that or what app or plugin to use.

UrBackup http://www.urbackup.org/ is a perfekt solution for such an approach. I am using UrBackup on my server too. I can recommend it absolutely. It is possible to create image backups which can be used for a bare metal restore. And it uses deduplication out of the box. Therefore it is a very resource-saving solution.

In older OMV versions it was available as plugin. Now it is available as docker image.

If you only want to do file backups rsync may be an alternative approach.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von cabrio_leo ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

You have essentially four options.

1. Use some local native backup software.

For instance in Windows 10 there is included backup software. You can use that and tell it to save the backups to a share on the NAS. There are many other free or non-free options.

2. Use some client-server backup software.

Typically comes with a server app and client "agents". Many options. For instance URBackup.

3. Roll your own.

Simply copy files to a share on the NAS. Or use standard tools like rsync.

4. Don't store any valuable data on clients.

Using a NAS it is possible to centralize data storage. Store everything on the NAS. And just backup the NAS. Then you don't need to backup your clients. There is no valuable data stored on the clients.

Personally I use a combination of 3 and 4. I do have some data on my laptop. Specifically my calibre ebook library, current photos and documents. I backup my laptop both to a local backup SSD in the laptop and to my NAS, if I am in range. I use rsync scripts to create versioned snapshots on the laptop first and then on the NAS. Extremely fast to the local SSD. Takes a while to the NAS, but it typically only runs while the laptop is charging over night.

• WOW! Several options. I did come across a you tube while working this morning that looked at UrBackup. Looks like a possible solution.

For the PCs that spend most of their life at home I like the idea of simply keeping most of what's important on the NAS. A few of them though are out of the house more often than not. And, I'm also dealing with a couple family members who don't have good backup habits so I'm leaning towards a client server arrangement where the server manages the schedule.

I'll also take a look at Synchronicity.

Thanks for all the feedback and ideas!

• VEEAM is a great free product. Scheduled incremental backup and maintenance. It can restore files and baremetal from the same backup. You can recover to pc that is operational, or recover just folders, but I've found that's rarely needed (because things are already working)
    It allows you to create a usb recovery thumb drive.
    Just plug it into computer and boot up. Then point to your backup on nas and restore. It really is that easy and I've done it several times to make sure it works.

I used to use Macrium reflect until they took out a lot of features in the free product. The free is fine if you just want to do full backups each time, but I think that's too much if you are supporting other people. It's also slower than Veeam.

I haven't used the others mentioned here, but I'm sure they work just as well.

Note: The reason I picked Veeam for home is because I use it at work for our entire infrastructure. Although free version isn't same as enterprise, the people that work on the software are way ahead of the curve compared to about anyone else. They are fully aware of the effects of different OS updates, networks, storage media, etc., and keep their software up to date to compensate for any issues.

• Apparently I need the "Absolute Idiots Guide to URBackup" Or at least a little help to bridge some knowledge chasms...

I've have docker and portainer setup through OMV 5 and I have urbackup running in a container. But that's were I hit a wall...

I've read several pages of info and watched a handful of youtube videos. The ones that show it being used with OMV are all showing screens in OMV (supposedly OMV 5 in at least one video) where you can see the container or urbakcup and manage it from there. I see no such screens.

Is it totally different in OMV 5 or have a missed a huge chunck of how to integrate and use it ? Are there any up to date guides that a newbie like myself could look at. I need a shove in the right direction...

• URBackup should be running on port 55414. Have you been there yet?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• No dice trying to access the port, but when I look at the list of containers I see
    Portainer listed with an 172.xxx.xxx.xxx IP with published ports 8000:8000 & 9000:9000
    and Urbackup but with no IP address or ports??? I assume I've not got the setup properly completed...

• What image did you pull and how did you configure it?

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I used the UrBackup from the app template from portainer. Is there more I need to install?

I do not know, but clearly you missed something. Read the documentation for the image.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is it totally different in OMV 5

OMV4 has a docker-gui plugin. This has been replaced by Portainer in OMV5.

I am not using UrBackup in docker. I installed it on Debian.

For installation in docker/portainer this might help you: https://hub.docker.com/r/uroni/urbackup-server
    If you want to use the docker-compose file, have a look here: [How-To] Use docker-compose files in Portainer

• Offizieller Beitrag

EDIT: parallel post, so kind of obsolete ;)

Right now screen shots of the settings in Portainer might be helpful.

If no different port is assigned for the docker (host mode) it will be the standard one 55414, so UrBackup should be reachable via

IP.of.your.nas:55414

e.g.

192.168.0.5:55414

• It appears all is working now. Shortly after I followed your suggestion to install via the compose file I was able to access the web interface and the client on my first pc went active. Thanks!

I have two outstanding issues and after that I think I'm all set.

1. I have a daughter away at college, I want to figure out how to setup backup over the internet for her laptop. One of the earlier failed installs of UrBackup showed a an external IP and Published Port in the container list. In the now working install there's no IP or port. I need to figure out how set that up.

2. I missed the lines in the compose file that established the back up directories. The compose file puts them in /var/backup under /root which is on a really small SSD. I want to edit that to put them on /dev/sdc1 in a /pcbackups folder I . When I look at the backup storage field in the web interface it only shows /backups. So, it appears to assume the /var part of the path. How do I enter the path for for my /dev/sdc1/pcbackups.

• Offizieller Beitrag

2. I missed the lines in the compose file that established the back up directories. The compose file puts them in /var/backup under /root which is on a really small SSD. I want to edit that to put them on /dev/sdc1 in a /pcbackups folder I . When I look at the backup storage field in the web interface it only shows /backups. So, it appears to assume the /var part of the path. How do I enter the path for for my /dev/sdc1/pcbackups.

From the compose file:

Code
    volumes:
          - /path/to/your/database/folder:/var/urbackup
          - /path/to/your/backup/folder:/backups

the right side of the ":" is inside the container. The left side is outside the container, i.e. on your server. Don't change the right side, only the left side.

You need to change it to something like

Code
    volumes:
          - /srv/dev-disk-by-label-xxxx/UrBackup/database/:/var/urbackup
          - /srv/dev-disk-by-label-xxxx/UrBackup/backup:/backups

On OMV drives are mounted in /srv/

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!