Need help Mounting Raid

• Hi,
    I have tried to find a solution but I guess its so easy, nobody would ask such a question ^^. But I dont work with Linux and dont know how to continue.

Anway, I dont know hoe to continue.
    I just installed OMV and I have 2 HDD which I would like to mount to one mount point. So in the frontpanel i choose the linear Raid, which seemes to work (both HDD are at /dev/md0)

Now Id like to mount them for examle at /media/Data with ntfs and share this folder via smb.

How can i do that? I couldnt find an option at the web interface.
    Standard mount command also do not work (e.g. sudo mount -t ntfs -o rw,users,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 /dev/md0 /media/ntfs)

Thanks for your help and best regards,
    Markus

• Me again,
    Iguess the first step would be to format them in ntfs.
    So one HDD i manged to label with GPT, but with second one (sdb5) doesnt work. Here is what fdisk gives:

/dev/sdb1 * 2048 472322047 472320000 225,2G 83 Linux
    /dev/sdb2 472324094 488396799 16072706 7,7G 5 Extended
    /dev/sdb5 472324096 488396799 16072704 7,7G 82 Linux swap / Solaris

So sdb5 is used by OMV?
    I dont get it...How to get rid of this? I guess I have to reinstall OMV...How can I install it such that it creates the necessary partitions only on sdb1?

Thanks,
    Markus

• I just installed OMV and I have 2 HDD which I would like to mount to one mount point.

If you want only one mount point you can use the unionfs plugin for that.

Iguess the first step would be to format them in ntfs.

I think that will not work. If you want to create a software RAID array with mdadm you have to use a native linux file system like ext4. You can´t use NTFS for that.

Standard mount command also do not work (e.g. sudo mount -t ntfs -o rw,users,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 /dev/md0 /media/ntfs)

3rd point: You have to be careful if you do tasks by CLI which are normally done by the WebUI of OMV. It is then not contained in the OMV configuration database and OMV did not "know" about them.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

Don't use ntfs for constant use with OMV. OMV is Debian and works best with native file systems like ext4.
    Don't mount filesystems from the CLI. Mount them in the GUI of OMV. If you mount them from CLI they are not usable in the GUI of OMV.
    Don't use RAID unless you have really good reasons to do so. It just adds an additional layer of complexity.

Have a look at the guide which is linked in my signature to get you started.

edit: parallel post

• Offizieller Beitrag

Stupid question: EXT4 is fine to be used in a network (smb) with Windows PC running on ntfs?

Yes. SMB is providing the shares to Windows so that data can be read.

And another question...is it possible to add another HDD later to the linear raid, without loosing the data?

No.
    https://openmediavault.readthe…tration/storage/raid.html

Use the unionfs plugin from omv-extras for that. Than you can grow as you like. You can also start with just one drive and add the second when you need the capacity. Or use one drive for your data and the second one for backup.
    Have you thought about backup? Again there is an interesting page linked in my signature.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!