OpenZFS support?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just wondering if OMV has any plans to support OpenZFS out the box?

There is a zfs plugin in the omv-extras repo and it has been around for over 5 years.

Also wondering about what the current status of ZFS is on OMV as it stands.

Quite good since it is working well on Debian. https://packages.debian.org/se…archon=names&keywords=zfs

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Do we still need the Proxmox Kernels?
    Or is it baked in nicely now to the Debian Kernel?

This is kinda why I asked. Also if OpenZFS is now well Open, why not bake it into OMV instead of via Extras Plugin?

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is kinda why I asked. Also if OpenZFS is now well Open, why not bake it into OMV instead of via Extras Plugin?

OpenZFS is not GPL, so it will never be part of the offical kernel shipped with Debian which results in OMV will not support it officially. Shipping ZFS is still a potential expensive mine field for OSS projects IMO.

• Sorry maybe I got the wrong end of the stick, I thought that's exactly what was happening with OpenZFS and Ubuntu pushing it.
    https://ubuntu.com/blog/zfs-licensing-and-linux

But honestly I dont really understand it all, I'm happy to use Proxmox kernels, but what I wanted was a standardised and updated ZFS support.
    IE OpenZFS. Lets say I use OMV for 5 years, OpenZFS continues its development but ZFS on OMV doesn't and then I rebuild OMV with TrueNAS Core that is running ZFS can I import my pool or not?

If OMV/TrueNAS/Proxmox whatever else is all using OpenZFS and singing from the same page you're data will be:
    1) On an up to date and developed ZFS platform
    2) Able to move/migrate around without any issue

Maybe I dont fully understand how ZFS gets built on OMV/TrueNAS/Proxmox, so please let me know if I'm wrong, always happy to learn.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm happy to use Proxmox kernels, but what I wanted was a standardised and updated ZFS support

The proxmox kernel is the Ubuntu kernel. Both just build the module and supply it with the kernel. The Debian kernel requires you to build it. Either way, you end up with kernel module compiled for your kernel. There is no difference. I recommend the proxmox kernel to avoid the build time and some compiling issues people occasionally have.

can I import my pool or not?

Considering that freebsd is moving to the ZFS on Linux code base, I would assume so.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• @ryecoaaron you wrote the plugin for ZFS right?
    Does that (sorry I'm a total noob here) use the OpenZFS or ZoL code base?
    Or is that specific to how the kernel works?

And the plugin just allows ZFS to be used?
    If you setting up a new ZFS pool is there anything I need to be aware of?
    Can I expand a pool with adding a new vdev?

• The proxmox kernel is the Ubuntu kernel. Both just build the module and supply it with the kernel. The Debian kernel requires you to build it. Either way, you end up with kernel module compiled for your kernel. There is no difference. I recommend the proxmox kernel to avoid the build time and some compiling issues people occasionally have.

So the Proxmox kernel is just the Ubuntu kernel or it has some changes? I looked for some info but I found nothing about it :/
    You also suggest to go for the Proxmox kernel by default if we want to use ZFS?

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• Offizieller Beitrag

you wrote the plugin for ZFS right?

Nope. I do minimal maintenance on it. People who use and know zfs wrote it.

Does that (sorry I'm a total noob here) use the OpenZFS or ZoL code base?

They are basically the same thing. ZoL is part of what OpenZFS brings together and freebsd is moving to the linux code base.

Or is that specific to how the kernel works?

There is only one zfs codebase that the Linux kernel uses.

And the plugin just allows ZFS to be used?

Uh, yes.

If you setting up a new ZFS pool is there anything I need to be aware of?

Why don't you just try it. I would also do some research on zfs before you start using it.

Can I expand a pool with adding a new vdev?

zfs can't do that yet but even when it can, it isn't the best implementation in my opinion.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So the Proxmox kernel is just the Ubuntu kernel or it has some changes?

It has minor tweaks but it follows the Ubuntu code base. https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_VE_Kernel

You also suggest to go for the Proxmox kernel by default if we want to use ZFS?

Yes. Proxmox has a pretty good user base and Proxmox is a Debian userland. So, running the proxmox kernel on OMV is a perfect match of what is running on Proxmox. And since zfs is natively support by Proxmox and Canonical/Ubuntu, it is well tested.

• zfs can't do that yet but even when it can, it isn't the best implementation in my opinion.

I believe this can be done on FreeNAS to expand a pool.
    Reason why I asked is to save my data I'm going to use half my drives to backup the data. Create a new pool, move my data to it, and then add in the other half my drives after the fact.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I believe this can be done on FreeNAS to expand a pool.

How? This is a feature that is in zfs 0.9 and ZoL is ahead of Freebsd now.

Reason why I asked is to save my data I'm going to use half my drives to backup the data. Create a new pool, move my data to it, and then add in the other half my drives after the fact.

Why? Just import the pool created with freebsd into the plugin on OMV.

• Right now I'm using unRAID.
    But my single drive perf is starting to hinder me more than help.
    Hence why im on the search for something better/else. And I really like ZFS and with OpenZFS on the horizon I thought it would be a good choice.

Let me find the expansion for you.
    EDIT: Found it: Expanding Pool

• Offizieller Beitrag

Let me find the expansion for you.

Yep. It is exactly what I was saying. You can only expand a pool by adding another vdev. zfs 0.9 will allow you to expand a vdev but I don't care for the way it is done.

And I really like ZFS and with OpenZFS on the horizon I thought it would be a good choice.

openzfs isn't on the horizon. It is already here - ZoL.

• Yeah sorry maybe I didnt write it clearly.
    I meant expanding my pool by adding a new vdev, not expanding a vdev.
    So I'll start with 1x vdev and 1x pool, and then when I move my other half of my drives over I'll add the drives to a new vdev and expand that 1 pool, and it will then have 2x vdev.

Seems like I have a game plan.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So I'll start with 1x vdev and 1x pool, and then when I move my other half of my drives over I'll add the drives to a new vdev and expand that 1 pool, and it will then have 2x vdev.

Yep, that is just as possible to do on Linux as freebsd.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!