Openvpn Client on single board computer instructions

• Hi Everyone,

I spent the last week scouring the forums to help setup an OpenVPN client on my OMV 4 installation on my Banana Pi. I emailed the instructions to Surfshark but I thought I would share them on the OMV forum as well.

Here is a guide on how to set up auto-connect for Raspberry Pi and other single board computers that are based on Debian. In this case we are working with an Openmediavault installation on a Banana Pi:

Note that the file used for this example is the Canadian Montreal file: ca-mon.prod.surfshark.com_udp.ovpn. This file is eventually renamed to ca-mon. Be sure that if you use a different file, you rename it within these directions accordingly.

1.Open a terminal window (through Putty or another app) and SSH into your Raspberry Pi machine.

2. Install the necessary packages by entering the command:

sudo apt-get install openvpn unzip

If you are requested to enter your password, please enter your computer's admin password.

3. Navigate to OpenVPN directory by entering:

cd /etc/openvpn

4. Download your VPN provider’s OpenVPN configuration files. In this case we are using the address provided by Surfshark:

sudo wget https://account.surfshark.com/api/v1/server/configurations

5. Extract `configurations.zip`:

sudo unzip configurations

6. Remove the .zip file which will not be used:

sudo rm configurations

7. To see the list of all the available servers enter:

ls

8. Choose one of the servers from the servers list and connect to Surfshark by entering:

sudo openvpn ca-mon.prod.surfshark.com_udp.ovpn

9. OpenVPN will ask you for service credentials. Find your VPN providers credentials for your account (typically through their web site).

10. You have successfully connected to your vpn provider if in the Terminal logs you can see "Initialization Sequence Completed".

Now you can start the autoconnect sequence.

1. Create auth.txt file inside /etc/openvpn directory via this command:

sudo nano /etc/openvpn/auth.txt

Fill it with your SurfShark Service Credentials:

username
    password

Save it.

2. Then open the file which you are using to establish a connection. Note that we have chosen the “ca-mon.prod.surfshark.com_udp.ovpn” file, but you can choose whichever .ovpn file suits you best:

sudo nano /etc/openvpn/ca-mon.prod.surfshark.com_udp.ovpn

And change this line:

auth-user-pass

into

auth-user-pass auth.txt

Save the file and change its name:

sudo mv /etc/openvpn/ca-mon.prod.surfshark.com_udp.ovpn /etc/openvpn/ca-mon.conf

3. Then you will have to edit the startup on boot file via this command:

sudo nano /etc/default/openvpn

When the text editor opens, go to the line with #AUTOSTART=“all” and remove the # so that it looks like this:

AUTOSTART=”all”

Save the file.

4. Reload the daemons

sudo systemctl daemon-reload

5. Run the following command to enable Openvpn service while booting:

sudo systemctl enable openvpn@ca-mon.service

6. Start Openvpn with the following command:

sudo systemctl start openvpn@ca-mon.service

7. Reboot your Linux device:

reboot

8. After the reboot - open the terminal and type in:

sudo traceroute 8.8.8.8

The first hop address should be 10.8.8.1 and in ipleak.net you should see Canada Montreal servers IP address.

There it is! Now OMV should reconnect to the VPN client at every reboot.

• Hello!

Does this also work on non-SBC-OMV installations?

(I have setup OMV 4 incl. Docker on regular computer hardware.)

I want to make sure that all docker containers use the vpn of Surfshark, but I want to make sure there are no problems for me connecting to my OMV in my local home network.

• Hello!

Does this also work on non-SBC-OMV installations?

(I have setup OMV 4 incl. Docker on regular computer hardware.)

I want to make sure that all docker containers use the vpn of Surfshark, but I want to make sure there are no problems for me connecting to my OMV in my local home network.

I'm not sure if this works on non-SBC-OMV installs. I just upgraded to OMV 5 and this approach still seems to be working with my Banana Pi.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!