OMV 5 wil boot only if I have a USB key inserted (sorta)

• Hi,
    I'll just open a new topic because this issue is really weird: I have a clean installation of OMV5. The SSD is Teamgroup L7 60GB. I have no other disk connected
    Basically: if I try to turn on OMV without a USB key installed I get this error:

If I have the SSD only, but no other disk it will boot

If I try to connect the other Hard disks it won-t boot anymore regardless if I have or not the usb key inserted and I recieve this error:

I really don't know wtf is happening here

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry, I just read your post again. It's not really clear, can you boot the SSD only, or do you need the usb to boot the SSD only? So in order to boot the SSD, you have to have the USB inserted?.. Then you add the other hard drives and it fails to boot?

It sounds like Grub got installed to the wrong device.

Try this first... Boot with the SSD only. If you need to add the USB to get it to fully boot, that is fine.

Log in as root. If you used the USB key to get it to boot (and you don't want to use it normally), remove it

update-grub

Shutdown and Connect data drives w/o the flash drives and see if it boots.

If it's still an issue, just do a Debian mini install and install OMV on top of that

• thanks! It actually solved my issue! I really don't get why the grub had this issue :/ did I do something wrong or is possible that there is a bug in the installer?

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• Offizieller Beitrag

thanks! It actually solved my issue! I really don't get why the grub had this issue :/ did I do something wrong or is possible that there is a bug in the installer?

LOL, then why the dislike? I'm assuming you hit the wrong thumb.

As for the reason....

crashtest gave about as good an explanation as I've seen on why this happens...

https://forum.openmediavault.o…-Problem-adding-hardrive/

• LOL, then why the dislike? I'm assuming you hit the wrong thumb.

You just discovereb why I don't play FPS games :D
    Thanks for the link to this thread :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi everybody !

How do install Debian mini and install OMV !?

(Stupid question ?)

If you can install using the OMV ISO, it's much easier.. but if you can't...

Download the Debian Mini ISO. Download the appropriate arch for your system (under small CD or USB stick)... https://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

Use Etcher to put the ISO on a flash drive https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Boot install media. Only drives that should be connected are your install media, and your OS drive.

Go through the install process, basically just enter requested info. When it comes time to install software, uncheck everything (arrows and space bar) except SSH server and standard system utilities.

When it's done, boot your NAS (with only the OS drive attached) and SSH the server from a client machine on your network.

Follow the instructions here to use the OMV 5 install script. https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…-Developers/installScript

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thank you so much for this, but when i install OMV ISO, i don' have any thing to uncheckend !

Maybe i can try whith Debian Mini IOS ?

The OMV ISO is more streamlined than using the debian mini iso.... the debian iso is actually a network installer and can be used to do a full network install of Debian (can be useful in some situations).

The OMV ISO will install what you need, if you can use it... use it. What problem are you having with the OMV ISO?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thank you so much for this, but when i install OMV ISO, i don' have any thing to uncheckend !

Maybe i can try whith Debian Mini IOS ?

The OMV ISO is more streamlined than using the debian mini iso.... the debian iso is actually a network installer and can be used to do a full network install of Debian (can be useful in some situations).

The OMV ISO will install what you need, if you can use it... use it. What problem are you having with the OMV ISO?

IF you're using the mini ISO, just continue along, with the install.. you'll know when it asks you on what packages you want installed (it's towards the end).

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't find the step when i have to unchecker the "options" !

Where did I say you choose options at the menu?

Zitat

Boot install media. Only drives that should be connected are your install media, and your OS drive.

Go through the install process, basically just enter requested info. When it comes time to install software, uncheck everything (arrows and space bar) except SSH server and standard system utilities.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!