I hope I can ask a pretty general question. I'm new to OMV, but just need a learned cursory glance over my plans.
Background is my Amahi NAS GUI died a horrible death when I upgraded. Thankfully Greyhole/shares are still up, and coincidentally I was gifted a pretty powerful old PC. Time for a rebuild!
I am about to settle on OMV + Greyhole on a Virtual box (Win 10 host) - Here are my thoughts and some requirements... Any issues with this plan?
My New HW
Mini tower, 650 watt PSU, ~4-5TB of random sized drives, 120gig SSD with fresh Win 10 64 installed, 16 GB RAM, i7-2600 @ 3.4gHz.
My NAS requirements
- Pooled varying sized drives (Rules out FreeNAS) - Do I need Greyhole still?
- Redundancy options for files/folders - e.g. # copies across different drives - as above
- Virtualised NAS OS (Virtual Box) on Win 10 64 Home. Hard drives will be dedicated to NAS.
- Open source - yay
- Host Mac OS Time machine backups and Win backups
- Ability to grow pool easily - E.g. in Amahi/Greyhole you can easily add Greyhole pool drives and FSK balances out storage. I have seen posts here about growing the native pool can take days and be at risk from power outages etc.
- Link aggregation options - Hopefully double plumb two Gigabit ports to my Ubiquiti ER-12
- Web GUI to administer pooling/Greyhole preferred (Amahi is paid or you have to use CLI - which I have done in the past but prefer not to)
- Paid upgrades/paid service (this is a fun/budget project)
- DHCP server / DNS centric features (NAS will be powered down quite a lot) - I have these functions elsewhere
- Server quality components - Rules out FreeNAS which I was also interested in.
Any other thoughts?
I genuinely hope I haven't broken rules. I could speend weeks trawling the forum for some of this info but I feel like a stalwart could take a glance at this list and green light it pretty quickly.