About to take the plunge - Coming from Amahi. Would love a sanity check on my build (HW list within)

• I hope I can ask a pretty general question. I'm new to OMV, but just need a learned cursory glance over my plans.

Background is my Amahi NAS GUI died a horrible death when I upgraded. Thankfully Greyhole/shares are still up, and coincidentally I was gifted a pretty powerful old PC. Time for a rebuild!

I am about to settle on OMV + Greyhole on a Virtual box (Win 10 host) - Here are my thoughts and some requirements... Any issues with this plan?

My New HW
    Mini tower, 650 watt PSU, ~4-5TB of random sized drives, 120gig SSD with fresh Win 10 64 installed, 16 GB RAM, i7-2600 @ 3.4gHz.

My NAS requirements

• Pooled varying sized drives (Rules out FreeNAS) - Do I need Greyhole still?
    • Redundancy options for files/folders - e.g. # copies across different drives - as above
    • Virtualised NAS OS (Virtual Box) on Win 10 64 Home. Hard drives will be dedicated to NAS.
    • Open source - yay
    • Host Mac OS Time machine backups and Win backups
    • Ability to grow pool easily - E.g. in Amahi/Greyhole you can easily add Greyhole pool drives and FSK balances out storage. I have seen posts here about growing the native pool can take days and be at risk from power outages etc.
    • Link aggregation options - Hopefully double plumb two Gigabit ports to my Ubiquiti ER-12
    • Web GUI to administer pooling/Greyhole preferred (Amahi is paid or you have to use CLI - which I have done in the past but prefer not to)

Not required/desired

• Paid upgrades/paid service (this is a fun/budget project)
    • DHCP server / DNS centric features (NAS will be powered down quite a lot) - I have these functions elsewhere
    • Server quality components - Rules out FreeNAS which I was also interested in.

Any other thoughts?

I genuinely hope I haven't broken rules. I could speend weeks trawling the forum for some of this info but I feel like a stalwart could take a glance at this list and green light it pretty quickly.

CPU i7-2600 | 11 GB RAM | Mobo Asus P8Z68-V LX | HP NC550SFP 10GbE 2-Port PCI-E-2.0x8 (SFP+ DAC) 802.3ad Bonding | US-16-XG + UDM Pro

• OMV 6.4.6-1 (Shaitan). Installed and booting via USB 3 SATA SSD
    • SAMBA shares, doubling as landing zone for Greyhole redundant storage pool file system service.
    • 3.25 Drives (in TB) - 1,1,1,0.3,2 - 2TB drive dedicated to Timemachine.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von square_eyes ()

• Another question is whether I can move the drives in place to the new tower and keep the files... or do I have to move files out of the old NAS via the network/samba?

CPU i7-2600 | 11 GB RAM | Mobo Asus P8Z68-V LX | HP NC550SFP 10GbE 2-Port PCI-E-2.0x8 (SFP+ DAC) 802.3ad Bonding | US-16-XG + UDM Pro

• SAMBA shares, doubling as landing zone for Greyhole redundant storage pool file system service.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

You can create large merged filesystem from multiple drives using mergerfs/unionfs. If you need redundancy, use snapraid. OMV has very good support for both mergerfs/unionfs and snapraid. Easy to grow as needed and robust. And simple to move the drives to another box later.

Before you consider redundancy I would recommend you to make sure you have good backups. Perhaps setup two mergerfs or snapraid filesystems. One for shared data and one for backups of the other.

Another solution could be to use your big old PC as you describe. But only as a backup NAS. Instead get a small low power NAS with a single BIG drive as your primary NAS. It can then be on 24/7, probably using less less power over time than the PC even if the PC is mostly turned off. Perhaps a Raspberry Pi 4 with a 16 TB drive in a powered USB enclosure.

Then you can have full access to your data using mobile and embedded clients, TVs, phones, tablets and laptops, without having to turn on the big multi drive PC.

• Sage advice. But understood on the need for an actual backup. Greyhole (apart from pooling) only really protects against individual HD failures, to the extent that you assign valuable files n extra copies. The easy pool growing and self healing really appeals.

I'm not fussed on power consumption. Since the machine will be only on when in use.

What about virtualisation on a Windows 10 host? Any pitfalls there?

Does OMV play nice with Greyhole?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't use Windows, so I can't help you there.

And I don't even know what "grayhole" is. I certainly haven't heard it mentioned in connection with OMV before.

Are you sure that you really need a NAS? Network Attached Storage? Perhaps you instead need a DAS? Directly Attached Storage?

I have problems even considering a NAS that is turned on/off as needed. For me the most important aspects of a NAS is that it is always on and that it is always accessible from anywhere at home from multiple device.

• And I don't even know what "grayhole" is. I certainly haven't heard it mentioned in connection with OMV before.

Are you sure that you really need a NAS? Network Attached Storage? Perhaps you instead need a DAS? Directly Attached Storage?

For anyone reading...

No, I don't want DAS, I have a pretty elaborate home network. But I have a reasonably low frequency of use for storage. Basically I need somewhere to store and access photos from when my camera SD card fills up plus a few installers and random large files, also for Time Machine and Win Backup and Restore backups over the network.

What appeals about Greyhole is recycling old drives to a storage pool, with the added benefit of drive level redundancy. My failsafe is Google Drive for cloud backup of important docs and photos.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von square_eyes ()

• To pool many HDDs of varying size in OMV, use mergerfs, unionfs or snapraid.

OK thanks. I'll look in to it. Do any of those options offer drive level redundancy, and self healing that Greyhole does?

• Finally got OMV up today for a play. Got badly hung up on Win 10 hogging Hypervisor resources off Virtualbox. But that aside I now have a VM working in a Win 10 host.

I had hoped to connect one of my physical 1TB drives raw with Virtualbox to dedicate it to OMV, but got frequent IO errors setting up the file system and formatting the drive from the web GUI. Though, OMV could see the drive at least. I gave up on that as a possible stable daily driver pretty quickly.

Continuing playing around with file based virtual disks just testing the GUI and file systems. Must say I'm very impressed! I'll probably end up installing it on a dedicated drive. But I want to see if I can get Greyhole up and running in tandem in my playpen first.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!