Root login works in scp but not ssh. Strange?

• Hi

I'm trying to login as root in ssh to use omv-firstaid to reset my admin login but my root password is not working. I can use SCP with my root password which I find strange.

Is there anything I can do from SCP to fix my logins? I have a backup but I'm not at my server location so I thought maybe I could copy some magic files (password files maybe) with SCP. Is that possible?

When I try to login as admin the screen goes to all light blue, as usual, but just as it normally would continue as logged in to the webui it goes back to the login screen- There is no login error. If I remember correctly there should be an error message telling me the login/password was wrong. Feels strange to me.

Can anyone point me to the log files in the file system so I can have a look at them when I login with SCP?

Thank you

• root login via ssh or console is disabled by default. You can change this in the WebGUI at Services | SSH | Permit root login

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• root login via ssh or console is disabled by default. You can change this in the WebGUI at Services | SSH | Permit root login

Thank you for your answer. Yeah I know but I can't login that's why I want to root login via ssh. I think it was enabled as I have used ssh with root before, even though it has been a good while ;)

As I understand it SCP is file transfer via ssh. That's why I find it strange I can login with root via SCP but not ssh

• Thank you for your answer. Yeah I know but I can't login that's why I want to root login via ssh. I think it was enabled as I have used ssh with root before, even though it has been a good while ;)

As I understand it SCP is file transfer via ssh. That's why I find it strange I can login with root via SCP but not ssh

The mechanisms for file transfer and spawning a shell are separate and different.

If you have in the past created an ordinary other user that can login via ssh, then login that way and su to root.

Also, only the admin user can login to the WebGUI with full access to the system.

I'm still not clear with what usernames what functions work.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Ok, I see - different mechanisms. I can't login to the WebGUI or ssh with root, admin or my ordinary user. I been able to check webdav (user), sftp (user) and SCP (root). That is what I've tried as I was most eager to try to find the log files. Do you know where in the file system I can find them?

• For the WebGUI:

the "admin" user is the only user that has full access to the WebGUI. The "root" user can not login to the WebGUI. Ordinary users can login to the WebGUI but will have almost no control over anything other than changing their own password.

For SSH:

The "admin" user can not login via ssh.

The logs are stored in /var/logs/

I have no suggestions if you can not login to the WebGUI as admin, assuming you know the correct password. I hope you have a backup you can restore.

Others may have other, better answers for you.

--

• Thank you. I have a backup bu unfortunately I don't have physical access to the server for awhile. For now the most important thing was to get hold of the logs.

If somebody else know if it's possible to remedy my login problems by copying some password file/s from my backup through my root access with SCP I would appreciate it

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!