Weird device name on install

• This is a weird one. I noticed when I was installing OMV v5.3.4 that when it got the screen where you choose the hostname and it had already entered "ChristiesiPhone". I'd also noticed a previous time when instilling the v5 beta that it named itself Ubuntu. Anyway, I chose a different hostname for the server and finished the install.
    Just now I finished setting up the SMTP server settings to enable notifications, and the test email read as "[ChristiesiPhone.localdomain] Test message from blah.blah"

I should mention that I believe this device name was for an iphone on my network years ago, but no longer.

How do I fully change the system name? Also why would the installer pull that random old name?

• Here's a video showing it happen in the installer. Skip ahead to 35 seconds to see what I mean.

Externer Inhalt vimeo.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• It may have come out of your router if that hostname was (and still is) related to the machine's IP address in the DHCP server.

You can change it in System | Network | General tab.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Look in /etc/hostname

If there are other places I don't know them.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What you have done is correct, but the name (hostname) is still stored in your router, ChristiesiPhone IP is now being used for your OMV, either wait for the router to play catch up or login to the router and change the name.

• Look in /etc/hostname

In that file it's the new hostname.

What you have done is correct, but the name (hostname) is still stored in your router, ChristiesiPhone IP is now being used for your OMV, either wait for the router to play catch up or login to the router and change the name.

That's so weird. That device hasn't been on the network for over 2 years, so I'm not sure waiting will work.
    I've logged into the router, and it's reporting this IP as the new Hostname.

What's still confusing is that in the email notification it shows both hostnames in the email subject. "[ChristiesiPhone.localdomain] Test message from newhost.localdomain". Is the notification script pulling this hostname from the router, or is the initial host name stuck in Debian somewhere?

• Update: I did some digging and my Unifi USG did have an old entry in it's /etc/hosts file with this old hostname linked to the OMV server's IP.
    I deleted the entry, restarted the router service, and the OMV server, but the notification emails from OMV still show this old hostname in the email subject line. There must be somewhere in OMV that's storing this info.

Anyone with the same issue, this is the thread I followed.

https://community.ui.com/quest…f2-4268-8078-aba32ff21aee

• Just an update for any future users with this issue.
    I was never able to fix this. The install was fresh, so I just reinstalled from scratch. This time since those old entries in the USG's hosts file were removed, I was able to get the hostname I wanted, and the emails show the names correctly.

• votdev

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!