Is it possible to copy OMV from msata to usb key?

• ※Sorry for that I'm not a native English speaker.

Hi gays,

Please let me ask that is it possible to migrate OMV5.x from msata to usb key?

I'm using msata as system disk, using raidz1 on 4 disks, and raid1 on 2 disks.

I need to change motherboard, and new motherboard does support msata.(I know I can buy a msata-> sata adapter, but I want to save one sata port)

I would like to migrate OMV from msata to usb. but I can't find system backup feature in OMV. So I think copy to usb may be the only way.

Does anyone have the way to do it?

• Clonezilla copies whole disk, so i would try with it.

Yes, I tried yesterday. I think it's easy to use.

My system disk is a 64Gb msata, and only 3Gb is in use.

but my bigest USB is 63.1Gb, so I can't clone it. T_T

Is it able to clone to a smaller(16GB) USB key?

• You can try again using Clonezilla and use the setting that tells it to not check for enough free space on the destination drive.

However, what I have done in the past is to use dd to clone the disk. In a case like yours it should tell you the copy failed due to inadequate space, but in almost all cases it is failing at the very end while copying empty space, not actual data.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• You can try again using Clonezilla and use the setting that tells it to not check for enough free space on the destination drive.

However, what I have done in the past is to use dd to clone the disk. In a case like yours it should tell you the copy failed due to inadequate space, but in almost all cases it is failing at the very end while copying empty space, not actual data.

Thank you !

I will try it again tonight.

Hope I can do it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is it able to clone to a smaller(16GB) USB key?

In clonezilla you need to go to extra or expert options (not sure about the correct name), then you can use the "-icds" switch/option. By using that switch clonezilla will not check if the target drive has at least the same size.

• My experience with the Clonezilla -icds option is that it does not work 100% of the time and the copy still fails. I have never bothered trying to see if a copy that failed that way actually worked anyway.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• My experience with the Clonezilla -icds option is that it does not work 100% of the time and the copy still fails. I have never bothered trying to see if a copy that failed that way actually worked anyway.

Thank you.

Now I know it is a good way to copy.

Yesterday I tired to resize boot partition to 14Gb and I would like to copy part_to_part. So I succeed in breaking my boot disk. T_T;(

Luckly, after I re-install the OMV in USB, all data was back.

I would tiry clonezilla with -icds option for backup system.

• When you copy partition to partition you do not copy the boot track. So even if all the partitions were perfectly copied, the disk with the copied partitions will not boot.

I use dd to clone disks and never had any problems, even when the copy "failed" due to the target disk being ever so slightly too small. What didn't get copied was merely empty space at the end of the disk that was not occupied by any partition because I shrank the partition slightly first.

--

• When you copy partition to partition you do not copy the boot track. So even if all the partitions were perfectly copied, the disk with the copied partitions will not boot.

I use dd to clone disks and never had any problems, even when the copy "failed" due to the target disk being ever so slightly too small. What didn't get copied was merely empty space at the end of the disk that was not occupied by any partition because I shrank the partition slightly first.

Yes, as you say partition copy does not copy the boot track. so grub will try to boot from a bad block.

I think I learned a lot in this forum. Thank you so much !

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!