Help troubleshoot failed drive

• The drive in question had a similar problem in November, I ended up formatting it and it was good to go since December. Previous conversation:

RE: New HD from a week ago was working, but now it won't mount

Today, it is acting funny again, here are my logs:

It still shows up under my drives but it is not mounted. This is the log when I attempt to mount it: https://pastebin.com/mMvu82Yk

SMART status of the drive - https://pastebin.com/frx8y5Tb

So what y'all think? Should I have learned my lesson last time and trashed this thing? I'm hopeful I can continue to use it, lmk!

(it was just media, nothing important luckily)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Should I have learned my lesson last time and trashed this thing?

Yeah, it's beyond time to trash the drive - that is, if you expect to retreive the data you've put on it, uncorrupted.

When Reallocated Sectors start incrementing, there's no fixing the drive. It can't be done. There's literally no lasting repair that can be done to it with software. Further, drives are not like a car engine that can be rebuilt with new hardware.

If smart 5 (Reallocated Sectors) incremented even once (to 1) I'd be nervous. I wouldn't swap it out, but I'd watch it closely. If I saw steady increments to 4 or more, I'd be ordering a new drive. Your drive has 36. It's fate is inevitable. It's just a matter of time. The question is, what is your "uncorrupted" data worth to you?

Following are the SMART attributes that should be watched closely:

SMART 5 – Reallocated_Sector_Count.

SMART 187 – Reported_Uncorrectable_Errors.

SMART 188 – Command_Timeout.

SMART 197 – Current_Pending_Sector_Count.

SMART 198 – Offline_Uncorrectable.

1 in the raw count is nothing - it could be a fluke. On the other hand, if they start incrementing upward, it's time to order a new drive.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!